Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for the Sages

lsat8709lsat8709 Member
in General 78 karma

For LR, do you read the stimulus first, or the question stem first? Please explain why.

There seems to be disagreement on this topic across reputable LSAT test prep companies.

Thanks for your insights!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2020 13286 karma

I always read the stem first. My reasoning is fairly simple. Each question type has us looking for specific indicators in the stimulus. We are looking for flaws, conclusions, leaps in logic etc. I found I do better when I know what I'm looking for before I read the stimulus. Doing it this way saved me from re-reading on most of the "easier" questions and therefore saved me time.

This topic has been highly debated by everyone though, and I think it really is a matter of personal preference. I would try doing both and see what works best for you!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I definitley think its personal preference. I could see it both ways. For some, (those on the Thinking LSAT), stem first apparently leads people to understand the argument less. For some, it leads to more. Idk I think I like the stem first.

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    470 karma

I went back and forth initially, unsure which method was better for me. Then I decided to pick one and I read the stimulus first for nearly two months actually. Then I revisited this and switched to reading the stem first and felt that (after one PT to get used to it) it clearly helped me work more quickly through the exam. So you'll likely want to pick one, but don't be afraid to revisit this decision later

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I always read the question stem first. This frequently saves time. For example, one time a question stem asked for the method of reasoning in an argument. I read the argument and the convoluted wording didn't make a lot of sense to me. However, it was pretty obvious to me how they reasoned their argument, even if I didn't fully understand the argument. Being able to just determine the method of reasoning, not attempt to decipher the argument, and move on saved me probably 2 minutes.