Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is context or background information necessary?

WherefromcovidWherefromcovid Free Trial Member
edited May 2020 in Logical Reasoning 18 karma

Hello guys please when solving an LR problem is it okay to ignore the context and read the argument only to be a little fast, since we just need premise and conclusion.
Thank you

Comments

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

I would say taking the context into account will give us an understanding of the structure in stimulus. Note indicators in the stimulus and where there is shift from context to the core argument: premise and conclusion.

• WherefromcovidWherefromcovid Free Trial Member
    18 karma

Thanks for your reply,How about a situation where there is no indicator? > @Magnificent2021 said:

I would say taking the context into account will give us an understanding of the structure in stimulus. Note indicators in the stimulus and where there is shift from context to the core argument: premise and conclusion.

• 1058 karma

I agree with Magnificent2021. Also, I think the context becomes slightly more important in the later exams. PT 86.1.15 is a prime example of this. For problems with little to no indicators you must develop your intuition by working through a lot of LR problems and analyzing structure. Think about which sentences offer support and which are supported.

• WherefromcovidWherefromcovid Free Trial Member
    18 karma

Great! ,thank you> @"The Great White Shark" said:

I agree with Magnificent2021. Also, I think the context becomes slightly more important in the later exams. PT 86.1.15 is a prime example of this. For problems with little to no indicators you must develop your intuition by working through a lot of LR problems and analyzing structure. Think about which sentences offer support and which are supported.