Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HUGE LR fluctuation HELP!!

ryaaan777ryaaan777 Member

I'm taking flex in a few days, and I've been drilling LR timed sections. I don't know what's going on but my 2nd LR is always always better than my 1st. I'm talking like from -8 to -1 flutuation on the same test. Am I overthinking 1st LR and just more relaxed on the 2nd, what's going on? Anyone else have suggestions, thank you.

Comments

• lizzogonzolizzogonzo Member
    628 karma

I think if you took a closer look at what you're getting wrong maybe you'll see a pattern? For example maybe it's a particular question type that you're not as strong at, let's say it's Argument part. Your first section had more AP than the second section so you were likely going to get more wrong. But definitely it's hard to tell with what you've just shared, so if you share more about what you're noticing on your LR sections I think others will be able to help pinpoint what you're struggling on!

• ryaaan777ryaaan777 Member
    29 karma

@lizzogonzo said:
    I think if you took a closer look at what you're getting wrong maybe you'll see a pattern? For example maybe it's a particular question type that you're not as strong at, let's say it's Argument part. Your first section had more AP than the second section so you were likely going to get more wrong. But definitely it's hard to tell with what you've just shared, so if you share more about what you're noticing on your LR sections I think others will be able to help pinpoint what you're struggling on!

Thanks. I just finished 2 LR (89-LR2 and 7-LR2) and both are 3 star difficulties.
    I did 89 first got -5: 2 strengthen, 1 disagree, 1 mss, and 1 parallel flaw
    for 7, I got -1 NA

It seems like I'm struggling with strengthen/weaken type more than others, but I've been doing LR drills for a while, it seems like my mistakes don't follow any specific pattern rather than my 2nd LR is almost always better than my 1st LR section...

Thanks for helping!

• 414 karma

It’s also likely that your LR brain isn’t fully awake until you get to the second section! Do you do any warm-up for LR before your timed tests?

• DefenderDefender Alum Member
    348 karma

100 to the comment above----do a few practice LR problems beforehand. They can be ones you have already done before. But, it's important to warm up. Otherwise, those first few easy questions in the section will be irksome, and it can be hard to establish a good rhythm.

• Frenchy555Frenchy555 Live Member
    edited May 2020 393 karma

@ryaaan777 I have similar issues with crazy fluctuations for reading comp sections. If strengthen questions are a problem for you on your first test then maybe you're just not using the causation strategy as effectively as you are once you get in the flow of things. Also, I am the king of overthinking and I personally think that if you're getting -1 during timed sections then you shouldn't stress yourself out. When I think I'm overthinking it causes me to overthink more which leads me to doubt myself. You know you have very strong potential to perform very well on the LR section come test day so be confident. For the next few days leading up to the test leave out any doubt and grow your confidence in yourself. Think like you're a fighter and you've been training for months and are about to step in the octagon. Your biggest opponent isn't the other fighter, it's yourself, and the most confident fighters know how to win the mental fight. I have a feeling you're going to destroy LR, and so should you.

• legallyconfusedlegallyconfused Alum Member
    350 karma

This actually happens to me too! I usually get 20/25 on the first LR and 23/25 or 26 on the second one! I have stopped practicing with two LR sections during a PT since I am also taking the LSAT Flex in June. I have focused on just trying my best on the one and only LR section I get to do. I honestly think it's about "warming up". I have decided that before the test day, I will do either a section of LR or at least a good amount of practice questions and also complete a couple of games. That way, I will be "warmed up" for the test.

• PilotPetePilotPete Alum Member
    37 karma

In response to just the 89/7 example, it's also possible that you vibe more with the old style of question, rather than the newer one. People have said that the LR on newer tests is harder than that of the older tests.

• lizzogonzolizzogonzo Member
    628 karma

@"caffeine powered human" That's a cool thing that I learned so thank you for sharing. How would you then "warm up" on the day of an exam?

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

A group of us are reviewing PT 89 the first section this evening. Maybe it will help enlighten you as to where you are going wrong? If you want to join message and I will give you the zoom link. It starts at 8 pm Pacific tonight.

• edited May 2020 414 karma

@lizzogonzo said:
    @"caffeine powered human" That's a cool thing that I learned so thank you for sharing. How would you then "warm up" on the day of an exam?

No problem! Before taking a timed PT, I always do 1 game, 1 RC passage, and the first two pages of an LR section to get my brain working. I always recycle an old pt or a section I’ve seen before. I usually quickly check the answers, but I do not dwell on any problem I get wrong for more than a few minutes. The point is to warm up the brain, and you should have thoroughly BRed & reviewed these questions before. This also means that I am not likely to get that many questions wrong so it boosts my confidence as well! But if you are worried that you will get a lot of questions wrong during the warm up, I’d suggest that you don’t actually grade until you’re done with the PT. It’s important not to get discouraged!

• ryaaan777ryaaan777 Member
    29 karma

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advices, I decided to take a day off and didn't check the forum yesterday haha. I'll try doing warm up LR, doing 10 1-start-Q without checking answers. Good luck on everyone's study!!!!