Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retaking the LSAT, is it worth it?

MurphEtch11MurphEtch11 Alum Member
in General 8 karma

What do people think about taking the LSAT again? In general is it a good idea and is it reasonable? On a personal note, I recently took the May LSAT Flex and I am signed up for the July test. I did good on the first one and have recently taken a few weeks off to focus on other things, but I came back to a PT today and got the same score as I had on test day. That made me think I could get a better score if I put a couple more weeks of prep into it. Does anyone have any advice from their own experiences about taking the LSAT more than once? Thanks everyone, 7Sage and its community have already raised my score a whole bunch and I am forever appreciative of everyone.

Comments

• lsat2016lsat2016 Free Trial Member
    488 karma

@murphysarahkatherine what's your score and scores in different sections? whether retaking is worth it or not depends a lot on official score and your goals.

• MurphEtch11MurphEtch11 Alum Member
    8 karma

@lsat2016 On the one in May I got a 166 and before that I was PTing around a 165, having taken 20 practice exams. My scores for the RC and LG sections would usually be around -3 and the LR would be where I would have the most trouble but on test day I thought the LG section was the one I screwed up on ironically. As for goals, it’s hard to say because I’m still researching different law schools at the moment. I‘m a little naive to the process of applying to law schools and I’m not sure what matters most coming out of law school whether it be school reputation, grades, or work ethic, and that’s definitely a contributing factor to my questions about retaking the exam. Sorry for the rant, thank you for taking the time to respond!

• NerfThisNerfThis Alum Member
    173 karma

@MurphEtch11 said:
    @lsat2016 On the one in May I got a 166 and before that I was PTing around a 165, having taken 20 practice exams. My scores for the RC and LG sections would usually be around -3 and the LR would be where I would have the most trouble but on test day I thought the LG section was the one I screwed up on ironically. As for goals, it’s hard to say because I’m still researching different law schools at the moment. I‘m a little naive to the process of applying to law schools and I’m not sure what matters most coming out of law school whether it be school reputation, grades, or work ethic, and that’s definitely a contributing factor to my questions about retaking the exam. Sorry for the rant, thank you for taking the time to respond!

Regardless of what you decide to do, I think it's safe to say with the LSAC providing LSAT FLEX tests recently, there has been no easier time to "try out" another test.

You can take the test at the comfort of your own home and the test is significantly shorter.

Given that schools only really care about your highest score, and that another retake wouldn't be your 4th, 5th+ retake I'd say go for it.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Really depends. I think if you think you can get a high score go for it. Depends on how long youve been studying. Like you were PTing at 165 so scoring 166 is quite good. But if youve only been studying a short amount of time, you can still improve.

For me, ive been studying for a while, but scored around 2 points lower than PT average so I will be retaking.

• ALLCAA123ALLCAA123 Alum Member
    125 karma

It depends on your score. If you got a 168 or more, I don't think it's worth retaking. You can go to almost any law school with a discount. What I will say is this: I scored 2 more points on my second take, and it dramatically improved my odds for where I can get in and what scholarship money I'll get. I won't know until next cycle, but looking at my stats, people with the same lsat/gpa as me got better offers at better schools than the one with the lower lsat.