Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pt 1 s4 q24

why is the answer e and not c? can someone break down the logic for me?

Comments

• 7SageUser-27SageUser-2 Member
    58 karma

Below is how I interpreted the prompt and the answer choices (at least, among C and E).

Here is the prompt:
    Although all contemporary advertising tries to persuade, only a small portion of contemporary advertising can be considered morally reprehensible. It nevertheless follows that some attempts at persuasion can be regarded as morally reprehensible.
    I interpreted this to translate to:
    All A's (contemporary advertising) are B's (attempts to persuade). Some A's (contemporary advertising) are C's (morally reprehensible). Therefore, some B's (attempts to persuade) are C's (morally reprehensible).

I interpreted Answer Choice C to say:
    All A's (good managers) are B's (people who make decisions based on adequate data). Some C's (all managers) aren't B's. Therefore, some C's (all managers) are not D's (not good managers).
    Problem:
    The first statement isn't about "all managers", it's only about "good managers". Whereas, the prompt has a more general statement of "all contemporary advertising". This means that there are now three groups of people: The D's (not good managers), A's (good managers), and C's (all managers).

Answer Choice E is correct, though it's hard to see why when you look at the way the answer choice is ordered. I would imagine LSAC intentionally flipped the order around so that it seems as though it's an answer choice a lot of people would immediately dismiss and cross out. If you read it backwards though, it follows the same logical structure as the prompt.

All A's (all sonnets) are B's (short poems). Some A's (sonnets) are C's (thematically pluralistic). Some B's (short poems) are C's (thematically pluralistic).

I think it's a lot harder to grasp when you're just thinking in terms of the words, but if you think of something like a Venn Diagram, with A entirely within B. And then some of A is in C. Then some of B must be in C.

Hope this helps!