Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really need help for upcoming August LSAT!!!

dianao6512dianao6512 Member
in General 169 karma

I have been studying on and off for about a year and a half. My initial diagnostic was a 150. I recently graduated with a 3.91 as a Philosophy major and I worked while in school full time, so I studied for the LSAT when I had the time. I took the June 2019 test since we could cancel it after seeing out score, and I ended up cancelling (151). Initially, I wanted to go straight to law school from undergrad, but decided its best to take a year off and work and give myself a little extra time to study. I am registered for the August flex test, but I am really stressed and discouraged because my score isnt improving. The most recent flex practice tests I took were both 155. I really want to go to a T14, and every other component of my application is very strong. I am a URM, great personal and diversity statement, and a strong GPA. The LSAT is the only thing holding me back. Getting a 165 would make me a strong splitter, so that is my new goal (initially I was aiming for a 170).

I dont want to take another year off, but i really dont know how I can improve 10 points in less that 28 days while working full time as a paralegal. I want to apply as early as possible to improve my chances, so I am planning to send in my application mid to late September. I am contemplating also registering for the October LSAT and taking that if my August score is not good...but regardless, how can I improve 10 points when in a year and a half I barely improved 5? In my untimed sections I always feel confident about most of my answers, yet I still miss a good amount of them. It is very frustrating. I average -8 LR, -10 RC and -7 LG. English is also my second language and while that was never an issue in school, it seems to be a barrier here for some reason.

I started my studies off with 7sage a year ago, went through the CC but found that it didnt help me too much at the time. I then went through the Powerscore LR and LG books, which helped me build a stronger understanding of the basics, especially for LG. I drilled linear questions for LG, which helped as well. Since then, I have been doing timed and untimed practice tests(about 4 so far), but im not sure what else I can do to help isolate the main issue. I think improivng my LG will be the easiest, and RC the hardest. LR is what is tripping me up because I feel pretty confident when answering the questions, but obviously something isnt clicking. Through BR and looking back at the answers, I usually see where I went wrong with missing small details or inferences, but even if I understand that question, I continue to make similar mistakes on the next prep test. Essentially, I am looking for any advice at all for how some of you overcame a plateau, especially breaking into the 160s.

Sorry that this turned into a mini rant lol, I just feel very lost and discouraged and I really really want to go to a T14. Any help is REALLY appreciated.

Comments

• chsc3555chsc3555 Member
    66 karma

As far as I can tell, you should just push your test date back to October or November -- maybe even early next year.

The advice I have run into pretty often is: your score is much more important than date you take the test. Like you, I plan to start law school in fall of 2021. I decided that I would rather spend 3 months studying for the October LSAT than1.5 studying for the August one, even though August would allow me to submit applications as early as possible. My reason for making this decision is that I have heard time and time again that admissions committees don't really care when you apply so long as it is before December. Even then, a 165 in January is still much better than a 160 in November.

1 month isn't very much time to improve a score by 10 points, so you might as well give yourself some more time to get the result you want -- particularly since giving yourself more time won't hurt your chances of admission.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

• DefenderDefender Alum Member
    348 karma

Ok, I have some advice for LR and RC that might help. I went from -15 to -2 on RC, and -11 to -1 on LR. But, I just want to say: please embrace the fact that there are MANY great law schools that you can attend outside the T-14. Unfortunately, when I hear applicants talk so much about the T-14, it turns out they care more about prestige and brand than about being a practicing lawyer. I'm not saying that is the case for you, but it is my impression from your post.

Now, for RC, are you focusing on the author? The author reveals their position through key words and phrases—and often, the questions cqninutally hit on this theme. Also, knowing the author’s position on the given information helps the reader to remember what the info is and even where it is located. So for example, a passage will often have a long sections of information---complex, hard to sort, information. And then shortly afterward the author will reveal their position—and why it is relevant. But sometimes this can seem hidden. They'll say "blah blah blah lichen growth in northern sweden blah blah". Then they'll say something like, "this iconic discovery was necessary for. . ." This is the author's position coming out. Be sensitive to those moments. Cold stop in these moments and repeat back to yourself a summary: 'ok this author thinks this particular finding was huge'. That may sound simple, but I guarantee you there will be a question—a 'what would the author most agree with' question—where the correct AC will mention the info being an important discovery. Does that make sense?

For LR, one of the BIGGEST surges in scores I experienced came when I learned to translate the tough jargon in the stimulus into easily digestible language. LR often uses complicated language that we struggle to remember. So, translate it. Translate it is into thoughts you can remember, and then you will be able to see arguments more clearly.

Please message me with any questions. I am here to help. I went from a 146 to 167 in 13 months, and the road seemed long and hard. It is therefore my joy to help others on this test. I want my year of study to not go to waste! Focus small, and the score will improve. AND, you might not need to improve your score as much as you think to do well in the application cycle. Seems like you have a lot going for you!

• aliciabaliciab Alum Member
    27 karma

I would say to take in October or November! Focus on the basics because there really is a trick to everything. I'm in a similar position and with not breaking through a plateau and once I sat down and wrote out every basic trick that I learned it was significantly more helpful when applying it to my practice.