Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reflection: I crushed RC today... WTF did I do differently?

Sharing this for my personal growth and in case it benefits a single person. I went -5 on RC for the first time (usually -9 to -11) and immediately took note of what I did differently. Looking at it on paper, it's all so obvious, but it's stuff that apparently I had to learn the hard way.

Highlight less
I must be losing 1-3 questions' worth of time switching between colors, highlighting, and sometimes even erasing. Stahhhp!

Worry less
Don't freak out and reread anything for the sake of committing it to memory or catching every little detail. The test writers have word minimums. Like someone said in one of the 7Sage podcasts, lots of RC passage material will go over your head, that's what it's supposed to do - the game, then, is fighting the instinct to fully understand every single thing that's handed to you. Every sentence cannot be the most important sentence. Unhighlighted space or unremarkable information should be expected and embraced, not fretted over. Read actively and move tf on.

Concentrate... but really
Nothing in the world exists except this sentence.

Rush rush rush
Shed the mindset that the first passage will get you into the groove.

Comments

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I think it is fantastic that you were able to isolate the differences and apply that as a habit. Great job. Identifying that highlighting as a time sink for you is a great opportunity for growth! Keep up the good work! Concentration is something I really struggle with sometimes on PTs, and really can handicap you. Even though you know on test day you will be totally focused sometimes, sitting in your room, it is so hard to focus on what seems like the millionth RC passage while the sun is shining and the wind is blowing outside.

• Lej Not LegLej Not Leg Member
    238 karma

@VerdantZephyr Thank you for your positivity! Totally agree. For me, concentration has required practice just like the core concepts. Let's go crush some RC!

2054 karma

@"Lej Not Leg" indeed! I've got the real thing in just over 24 hours and I devoutly hope I do. At the time I was glad international applicants got a few extra days but I have felt ready since Saturday and have had to try not to be distracted at work all week while keeping that feeling alive. I'm about to clock out, we'll see how my nerves do the next 26ish hours

238 karma

@VerdantZephyr Good luck! You’ll do well, just keep that feeling alive ✨

2054 karma

Thanks a bunch!!! Going to try my best at both.

• rosegirl22rosegirl22 Member
    47 karma

how did you decide what is important to highlight? I feel like highlighting helps me to pay attention almost

edited October 2020 238 karma

@yasmeencrose It's super helpful but such a time suck for me. I get so carried away sometimes it's like the whole passage is color-coded, so right now I'm trying to limit myself to highlighting one or two words per paragraph. Basically I highlight a high-resolution word instead of writing it down. I feel like I'm slightly less confident when I get to the questions but I save so much time that I can actually attempt all 4 passages, so for me it's progress. What's your highlight strategy?

• oagui023oagui023 Member
    159 karma

Awesome!! Congrats on this one.