Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to address COVID19 unemployment gap on resume (Class of 2020)

Hi everyone, I recently graduated in May 2020 and have been unemployed till early Oct 2020. I was having trouble finding a job due to the pandemic. During this time, I mainly studied for the LSAT and took care of my 9 year brother since schools are closed now. How would I address this gap (May-Oct) on my resume? Should I have a footnote somewhere or it is not necessary to address? I assume most people would assume the gap is due to the pandemic anyway. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I have heard that generally a gap of more than 6 months should be addressed, but I am not sure that is true during this pandemic. I bet the question has been or will be answered on a podcast soon, but it has not been on one I have heard. Hopefully a bigger podcast warrior than I can chime in.

• Lawfulness29Lawfulness29 Member
    307 karma

I would not address it on your resume. However, I would write an employment gap addendum. The addendum need not be long as I think admissions readers are cognizant of the circumstances that have been imposed on us.

• _iamnw96_iamnw96 Alum Member
    437 karma

At a human level, I hope that law schools will take into consideration the immense stress and chaos these last few months have brought most students. IMHO May-Oct isn't really that huge of a gap; seeking employment and securing a good job takes time and effort during NORMAL times, not to mention the process being compounded by a global pandemic. Good on you for getting a job anyway!

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Definitely do not put it on your resume, but yes an addendum to (very) briefly state exactly that, you have been helping to take care of your brother and studying for the LSAT (isn't that like a full-time job after all?). They will see that you do not have a job listed after May, and the addendum clarifies how you have been spending your time. Most schools will specifically state in their application when to include an addendum, and gaps of more than 3-4 months need explanation (former HR person, not the same as ad comm, but I've seen a LOT of resumes).