Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waiting game: apps in

2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
edited October 2020 in Law School Admissions 1810 karma

Anyone else trying to come to terms with how to stay calm and patient while we to see how all of the pieces of the puzzle will come together? Want to tell jokes and make each other feel good for coming this far? I'd be happy to start a small group of people who want to just compare notes and share a toast when anyone gets any good news. Anything to keep me from obsessively checking my statuses. I love this community. Let me know.

Comments

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I would love to but I can't seem to focus enough through the stress to even finish my apps. Studying for the LSAT was so much easier.

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    edited October 2020 1810 karma

I have to respectfully disagree, @VerdantZephyr. For me, the LSAT was much harder. I'm here for you if you want any app advice. Otherwise, do let me know once they're in so I can congratulate you!

2054 karma

That is very kind of you. I am just having a ton of trouble juggling a full time job, personal responsibilities, and application materials.

1810 karma

I am juggling all of those things too, so I completely get it. Feel free to PM me.

• kaatrianakaatriana Member
    61 karma

I totally get it, I agonized over everything and then just finally had to submit it and do the damn thing. Now I'm thinking back, second-guessing myself and wondering how my application will be perceived. Ultimately, you have to trust yourself. If you put yourself on paper and they don't accept you, then it ultimately means it wasn't the right choice. I'm trying to think of it like those kimchi jars they bury away for months at a time....even though you can't see it, there is an active process happening, and your hard work and efforts are brewing. Hopefully soon you can eat some yummy kimchi, flush out your system, and feel very relieved <3

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

We made it this far to apply!! I have all applied to all my schools as well and it's a waiting game. I have heard back from 3 schools so far, two acceptances and 1 waitlist. I'm sure you are like me and are checking your application statuses atleast once a day lol. Be patient, the right school will come to you! Don't be discouraged if you get denied, if a school doesn't want you why would you want them?! Good luck in your process, keep us updated!

2054 karma

@TimeIsMoney That is an excellent perspective

1810 karma

I've only heard back from one of 14 - - waitlisted at GW. But with my stats. that's actually really good news -- a sign that my application is fairly strong. I'm a New Yorker, but I applied to some other good schools in the Northeast just to make sure I have options. I'm smiling a big smile that a few of you responded. We're in this together now :smile:

2054 karma

I love that about the 7 sage community, people are all in this together despite entering a famously competitive field. Honestly, if I were a law school admissions officer I think I would love to recruit directly from the forums here. There is so much focus, potential and collegiality. Hearing anything already is a great sign, getting waitlisted in October I think is probably a generally positive sign whereas getting waitlisted in the winter or spring is not.

I'm coming from living abroad for the last 4 years, so I am looking all over, but I would prefer outside of a major metropolis. I won't say no to Chicago or Columbia if they come knocking, but I would rather not pay that cost of living while in law school. I am still paying back the extra cost of living money from grad school in Miami years ago. I may have to endure a high cost of living when I am practicing, but then I will be getting paid at least.

If anyone else is still working on apps Michigan has a PS workshop Monday you can sign up for.

495 karma

So you guys think getting waitlisted early is a positive sign? I mean obviously not ideal but I got waitlisted at my top choice this week. I sent in a letter of continued interest and got a thank you response from the admissions team. What do you think my chances are? My LSAT is below the median but GPA is above the 75th!

1810 karma

In my specific case, getting on GW's WL so early is a good sign, since I'm exactly at their median GPA and 10 whole points below their median LSAT. I know that every school has a different philosophy, but I think (and pray) that means that my chances at the schools where my LSAT is closer to their median are pretty good. Even though we all know those two numbers are the starting point for every school, I'm confident that the softs do matter, and that showing our enthusiasm and passion can sometimes go a long way. I, too, submitted my LOCI, and it was received warmly, but I'm not counting on GW accepting me. But it's different because they are not my top choice, either. Your chances @TimeIsMoney don't only depend on your application, they now depend on everything else that happens down the line, with the folks that have already been offered acceptance. We're living in a particularly volatile time, so my gut tells me we're in for a long ride this cycle, and it will only make us crazy to guess. One thing to consider, too, is that I don't think students admitted from the waitlist get much, if any, money, since they will have handed it all out to the already-admitted students. I could be wrong, and I'm not trying to bum you out, but for me, that is a huge consideration.

495 karma

Yeah i have thought of that a lot, though my top choice is fairly cheap to begin with i could pretty much pay full price and not feel too bad honestly. But again, I haven't heard back from most of my apps yet. I think I will want to go to whatever school wants me! It sucks to be WL at my top choice but in the end, if they don't want me then i don't want to go there anyway. I also got put on the WL for a safe school which is peculiar to me. I assume they are yield protecting. I agree, this cycle is going to be very messy and probably drawn way out.

2054 karma

I think another thing that will be happening is schools trying to sift through the higher than usual LSAT scores. Right now, early in the cycle, high LSAT scores are up, which means all the top schools and then the next tier and middle tier schools as well are going to get a bump in LSAT scores. Schools are probably trying to evaluate how much higher, if any they could or should expect their median LSATs to be next year. A school would do themselves a big disservice if they took all the people at their usual medians and other schools aggressively pursued enough students to bump their LSAT medians up a point or two. The quality of their admissions would not go down, but they would see other schools leapfrog them in the rankings. I think smaller T14s will perform better this next year in US News rankings while Georgetown particularly might struggle. We could see even see Texas or someone bump them out again. Schools cannot know how far they can push that envelope yet, since they do not know what the rest of the cycle will look like. Maybe applications slow down after Thanksgiving and the increased numbers were simply a sign of free time and those extra high scores evaporate. Maybe they increase. Schools may be more inclined to waitlist this year than usual, and may be less likely to know themselves whether they are going to admit WL candidates than in the past. We are just going to have to hang in there for the long ride. On that note, I should get off here and get back to work on apps and such.

1810 karma

The waiting is already kinda killing me, though, if we're being honest. My husband and I got our lease renewal today...and because of me...we have no idea where the ideal place is for us to live based on where I'm going to start school. Anyone have a crystal ball? Patience is the superpower I would choose if someone were handing them out. How will I get through this?