Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In a tough spot

Hans ZimmerHans Zimmer Member
in General 541 karma

Hi everyone,

So I took the flex yesterday and I am shocked at how underwhelmed I am.

Going in I was averaging around 159/160, and was generally feeling great in LR and RC, but still weak in games.

On the flex I did well on the games (by my standards) and then for some reason I couldn't get into shape for LR and RC (missed a whole passage) and I've no idea what happened.

At this point I will be content to score anything above my 154 from August.

I am applying to Canadian schools (in access category at most) with around a 3.7 gpa and I don't know whether I should keep studying full-time until the Jan Flex, or to go find a full-time job and study on the side.

Saving money for law school sounds nice, but one must get in for that to be relevant and I'm going to be borderline.

I appreciate any help really.

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited November 2020 4306 karma

As a person who is working full time, I would do anything to study the LSAT full time. If you can financially hold off until the Jan Flex and take this time to full time study, I would do it. If you're worried about how admissions will view it or how it will reflect on you, the unprecedented times are on your side and many are out of work (I'm in the US but I assume Canada may be similar based on conversations I've had with people who live there). Studying on the side is manageable but it definitely slows your pace down a bit. Not to mention some days you plan to study but then become so drained from work that you can't even get quality studying in.

• Hans ZimmerHans Zimmer Member
    541 karma

@"Law and Yoda" Thank you for sharing your experience with this.

I've been at this mostly full-time for about 6 months so part of me just wants to be done with it all.

If I can muster the motivation then sticking to full-time study would be best for my chances at a better score. I just feel like the pressure is accumulating more given that I am doing nothing but studying, if that makes any sense.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Look, you had a bad test. It happens to everyone. I do not know a ton about the Canadian application process, but my understanding is that the LSAT is less important. So either way I think you will be fine. Why not split the difference and get a part time job? It will keep you on a schedule and you can still have time to study. I think the best thing you can do is stop building this test up in your mind. If you are scoring 159-160 in practice you can certainly do it on the test. Just go in relaxed and stress free. I think stress is the biggest reason people tend to do poorer on the LSAT itself compared to practice. Relax, know that you can get into schools without the LSAT improvement, and keep going. Maybe work, maybe don't, but you already have the 160 score ability.

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited November 2020 4306 karma

@"Hans Zimmer" said:
    @"Law and Yoda" Thank you for sharing your experience with this.

I've been at this mostly full-time for about 6 months so part of me just wants to be done with it all.

If I can muster the motivation then sticking to full-time study would be best for my chances at a better score. I just feel like the pressure is accumulating more given that I am doing nothing but studying, if that makes any sense.

Don't look it so much as how long you've been studying for but how much have you gained during the process and how you're skills have improved from the first day you started. I've been at this for about a year and sometimes I'm like wow this sucks that its taken me this long but I let that thought happen for a fleeting moment and then forget about it. I know it feels like all you're doing is just studying, but put it this way - you're preparing yourself for a successful future in a law school you really hope to attend. Each time you drill questions or take practice exams, you're building fundamental skills that'll carry throughout different aspects in your life. Don't think of it as a standardized test you're studying for but the first step to the next adventure in your life :)

The other thing I just thought of was you could start looking for jobs on your down time and go through the application/interview process but it may take you some time until you land something. Who knows, maybe if you start the job hunting process now you don't start the job until Jan! My last note on this is - job hunting alone is like another full time job (imho) so it could divert time away from studying but you could also use it as an "active rest" day if you can't find the energy to study.

541 karma

@VerdantZephyr

Thanks for the response!

Over here 160 is the golden standard for admission. I could probably get in somewhere with just a few point increase though.

I have definitely built this test up a lot in my mind and that could very well be what is holding me back here. I really need to work on the whole relaxing thing...

@"Law and Yoda" I appreciate the optimism and you made a great point about the gap between the job search and actually getting hired.

I think I'm going to take your advice and job hunting on my down time. I need something else as an outlet.

• cpeaks13cpeaks13 Core Member
    496 karma

@"Hans Zimmer" what is access category?

541 karma

@cpeaks13 Are you American?

In Canada there is category you can apply to if you have faced extenuating circumstances in your life that impacted your studies, such as illness.

496 karma

@"Hans Zimmer" im in Canada as well thats why I was wondering, I am applying in a discretionary category to UVIC maybe thats a similar thing to access category

• ChampwaleChampwale Member
    31 karma

@"Hans Zimmer", Im in a similar situation. I'm also applying to Canadian schools, however, I have a job (part-time). I'm writing my LSAT tomorrow but not very confident confident cause my studying has been on and off for the past 6 months. I would say if you could afford it then don't but if you can't then look into full time or part time. Message me.

• 1952 karma

you had a bad test day, but i believe you definitely can attain your target score. it might suck that you'll need to sit for the test again, but “nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty..." theodore roosevelt

in the end, it will be worth it. apply for both full-time / part-time jobs during your down time. but i agree with you that one must get in to a law school for that to be relevant; so the test should be your priority. but i think you can definitely get your score. you now have a better idea on how the test goes.
    go get 'em man

541 karma

Guys I just landed a full-time position and this situation has just escalated very quickly...

I am actually shocked as this position looks to be very good for me.

Ughhhh this has just gotten so much harder.

2054 karma

@"Hans Zimmer" don't stress too much. Studying for the LSAT is definitely doable while working full time. I and many others have done it. Make sure you have a weekly schedule, maybe get some BR buddies that will stick to the schedule and force you to do the same. Every day you will either have a certain task to complete such as non flex LR test and BR or take the Flex PT. On days you do not meet with your partners you can drill whatever you need to drill solo or review elements of the CC. Honestly, I have found the applications and essays part harder while working. Writing about myself has always been a struggle for me and you need a certain amount of energy and focus to self edit while writing.

As for losing hours in the day to prep, honestly as an educator my opinion is that there as an upper limit to the amount of study time that is really effective. That limit might be different for different people but focused study for less time is generally more effective than longer hours which may eat away at that focus. You can do this! Keep at it and congrats on the new job.

496 karma

@VerdantZephyr did you mostly do regular or flex PT's?
    and Congrats on the job @"Hans Zimmer" !

541 karma

@VerdantZephyr Thank you! Great response :)

@cpeaks13 thank you as well!
    I did mostly flex PTs. I think this was a mistake because it may have lowered my stamina, which seemed to be my problem on test day.

I everything into that LG section because it's my weak area and I felt gassed after.

2054 karma

@cpeaks13 I did mostly all Flexes because doing full 4 section tests is just too hard usually working full time. I would do the second LR section and then BR it the same day on Monday. Tuesday I would take the 3 section Flex, Wednesday I would BR by myself and then with a partner. Thursday I would do another Flex and BR it with a partner the same night. Friday night I took off to spend time with my girlfriend.

@"Hans Zimmer" if you are still struggling with LG your score definitely has a ton of room for improvement. That is the easiest section to improve. Drill Logic Games every day. The same 10-15 games over and over until you see the inferences instantly. Then a new set. You've got this.

541 karma

@VerdantZephyr Thank you for the breakdown!

I'm going to get back at it tomorrow.

• sorooshkoshasorooshkosha Alum Member
    23 karma

Hey, If I were you i would definitely go for the January Flex. I live in Canada, and my friend got into Osgoode after scoring a 160 on her January lsat last year. If she could do it, so can you.

• sandy.almarradwehsandy.almarradweh Alum Member
    12 karma

Hey Hans,
    I scored I 152 on the august LSAT and I applied to access categories to some schools. I also paid to do the Jan test to at least aim to score in the 160s. I think it’s really important to put LSAT as a high priority, you can always work part time and study for LSAT but I feel like full time work won’t be efficient as you won’t be putting 100% into LSAT.
    I am a Canadian student as well and I really want to get into osgoode but don’t feel discouraged because you can achieve things if you put your mind into it.
    If you missed a whole passage then it’s fine sometimes it’s better to do well on 3 passages then do all four. For next time you prep really take time into account. Do you also get accommodations for LSAT? I’m guessing because you’re applying to access category you can and should take advantage of it.

@"Hans Zimmer" said:
    Hi everyone,

Going in I was averaging around 159/160, and was generally feeling great in LR and RC, but still weak in games.

On the flex I did well on the games (by my standards) and then for some reason I couldn't get into shape for LR and RC (missed a whole passage) and I've no idea what happened.

I am applying to Canadian schools (in access category at most) with around a 3.7 gpa and I don't know whether I should keep studying full-time until the Jan Flex, or to go find a full-time job and study on the side.

Saving money for law school sounds nice, but one must get in for that to be relevant and I'm going to be borderline.

@"Hans Zimmer" said:
    Hi everyone,

@"Hans Zimmer" said:
    Hi everyone,

@"Hans Zimmer" said:
    Hi everyone,