Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improving Logic Game Score and speed

forthewinwinforthewinwin Member
in Logic Games 117 karma

What is the best way to improve Logic Games performance? My issue is lacking speed. I have been re-doing Logic Game problem sets, but have run into the problem of running out of problems to do. I did poorly on the last actual LSAT in November as result.

Comments

• 1952 karma

@forthewinwin said:
    What is the best way to improve Logic Games performance? My issue is lacking speed. I have been re-doing Logic Game problem sets, but have run into the problem of running out of problems to do. I did poorly on the last actual LSAT in November as result.

hey there,

when you say "re-doing" the problem sets, did you mean fool-proofing or just re-doing them a couple of more times?

if you haven't fool-proofed your games yet, i highly recommend it.
    this helped me with my speed tremendously.

https://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-score-on-the-logic-games/
    https://7sage.com/how-to-get-100-on-every-lsat-logic-game/

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Repeat the games you did the longest time ago! You most likely do not remember every answer to every game you have ever done if you did all of them. Even if you do remember part of a game from doing it before, writing out the inferences and getting the setup perfect will still benefit you

• forthewinwinforthewinwin Member
    117 karma

@"LOWERCASE EVERYTHING" said:

@forthewinwin said:

hey there,

when you say "re-doing" the problem sets, did you mean fool-proofing or just re-doing them a couple of more times?

if you haven't fool-proofed your games yet, i highly recommend it.
    this helped me with my speed tremendously.

https://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-score-on-the-logic-games/
    https://7sage.com/how-to-get-100-on-every-lsat-logic-game/

I have been continuously re-doing all the problem sets, but in variable order, leaving the most recently completed ones for the latest times to re-do.

• JasonWaterfallsJasonWaterfalls Core Member
    15 karma

My recommendation would be to take a look at the types of questions that are your time sinks. Is it a particular genre of game? Is it a type of question that trips you up more often than others? Is it setting up the game itself? Is it consistently the 4's and 5's? I think that being more specific in diagnosing your speed bumps would be helpful.

For me personally, a lot of my time is sunk into Could Be True/Must Be False type questions. I usually don't make enough inferences in the initial game setup, so if I'm hit early in the problem set with one of those kinds of questions, I try to recognize it as a time sink ASAP and skip it. Then, when I come back after the end of the set I sometimes have more inferences built up from answering the other questions and can answer those questions quicker than I would have on the first go-round.

I'm not an expert, but hopefully that's of some help!

• mellomelmellomel Alum Member
    292 karma

Do you evaluate how you did on each game after you've foolproofed it or do you just start another game? I struggled with LG too and I found that just foolproofing doesn't do it for me. I also need to evaluate how I did and take lessons out of everything I can potentially improve. I now keep an excel sheet where I write down how I did in each game and what I can do better next time. So for example if I failed to make some important inferences up front b/c I rushed into the questions, I write down sth concrete like pause after you read a rule, really understand it, see how it operates on the game board and the previous rules, and then move on. Or if I let an easy question suck up my time in the AC's, I write down sth like take a quick look at every AC to see if anything can easily be chosen or eliminated and work your way from there.

Also if you're struggling with timing, it might be a good idea to film yourself and see exactly how you are using/wasting your time. You might then need to work on some habits like trusting your game board/inferences and being more confident.

117 karma

@mellomel said:
    Do you evaluate how you did on each game after you've foolproofed it or do you just start another game? I struggled with LG too and I found that just foolproofing doesn't do it for me. I also need to evaluate how I did and take lessons out of everything I can potentially improve. I now keep an excel sheet where I write down how I did in each game and what I can do better next time. So for example if I failed to make some important inferences up front b/c I rushed into the questions, I write down sth concrete like pause after you read a rule, really understand it, see how it operates on the game board and the previous rules, and then move on. Or if I let an easy question suck up my time in the AC's, I write down sth like take a quick look at every AC to see if anything can easily be chosen or eliminated and work your way from there.

Also if you're struggling with timing, it might be a good idea to film yourself and see exactly how you are using/wasting your time. You might then need to work on some habits like trusting your game board/inferences and being more confident.

I have been making new copies of each Problem Set, and tracking the performance with each attempt. This while leaving considerable time (24+ hours) between attempts on the same questions.

I come from Khan Academy, which was unfortunately a waste of time after a week. It helped me get only a 151 score on an actual LSAT. Khan did not time lock you into a limited time constant for its problem sets, aside from Practice Tests. Thus, I don't expect to improve much by not limiting myself by time. Time is my main issue since without a time constraint, I get the majority of LG questions correct.

117 karma

@JasonWaterfalls said:
    My recommendation would be to take a look at the types of questions that are your time sinks. Is it a particular genre of game? Is it a type of question that trips you up more often than others? Is it setting up the game itself? Is it consistently the 4's and 5's? I think that being more specific in diagnosing your speed bumps would be helpful.

For me personally, a lot of my time is sunk into Could Be True/Must Be False type questions. I usually don't make enough inferences in the initial game setup, so if I'm hit early in the problem set with one of those kinds of questions, I try to recognize it as a time sink ASAP and skip it. Then, when I come back after the end of the set I sometimes have more inferences built up from answering the other questions and can answer those questions quicker than I would have on the first go-round.

Most of my time is lost on the "Which one of the following could be an acceptable arrangement...", or "which one must be true/false" questions.

• JasonWaterfallsJasonWaterfalls Core Member
    15 karma

@forthewinwin said:

@JasonWaterfalls said:

Most of my time is lost on the "Which one of the following could be an acceptable arrangement...", or "which one must be true/false" questions.

Nice, so we might be running into similar issues. Like I've said above, I've had success skipping those questions and coming back to them after answering all other questions. Questions like "If X is forced to be in position Y" or "If Y must be next to Z" are usually pretty good at teasing out inferences for the base game that can be helpful in clearing up MBT/MBF type questions. Good luck!

edited December 2020 117 karma

@JasonWaterfalls said:

@forthewinwin said:

@JasonWaterfalls said:

Nice, so we might be running into similar issues. Like I've said above, I've had success skipping those questions and coming back to them after answering all other questions. Questions like "If X is forced to be in position Y" or "If Y must be next to Z" are usually pretty good at teasing out inferences for the base game that can be helpful in clearing up MBT/MBF type questions. Good luck!

Thanks. I also lose a lot of time from either:
    i. Making too many inferences when drawing out the diagrams; or
    ii. Making too few interferences when drawing out diagrams

Without speed issue, I get 9/10 of the questions I do, correct. However, when timed, it is a hit and miss.