Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The LSAT and Motivation

kmarxtheleftkmarxtheleft Alum Member
in General 114 karma

Hey everyone, I was just wondering what you guys did to stay motivated to study for the LSAT, particularly 170+ scorers. I’ve really been having trouble staying on task. I’m just looking to see what other people did to stay focused. Thanks!

Comments

• ___AZ______AZ___ Member
    87 karma

Oh I could use some motivation too! I have days when I feel good about myself, but then do some practice and score low, which leads into the defeat and pity mode and ruins my "mental progress." Then need to work on building it up again! I am curious who have good means to stay motivated at all times.

• ___AZ______AZ___ Member
    87 karma

I just saw this and thought about us - the ones lacking some motivation at times... "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." Emerson

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

What helped me was doing bite sized pieces on days when I didn't have as much energy or time, like just drilling two passages in the morning and two games at night or whatever. You're not going to feel fully motivated every day and that's totally fine! It's also helpful to map out a long-term study schedule to try to loosely stick to. For example, if you are taking the test in 3 months, map out how many PTs you will be able to take before then and when you plan to take them. This will probably shift around, but it helps you get a big picture sense of where you are in the process. I don't recommend more than 2 PTs a week because of burnout and because you probably won't have the time to thoroughly BR any more than that.

• Destiny_LBDestiny_LB Alum Member
    130 karma

I think most of us can empathize! One thing I've had to accept is that progress with this test isn't linear. There are good days, bad days, and everything in between days. Something that has helped me stay motivated is to remind myself why I decided to go to law school in the first place. I visit the websites of my top-choice schools and see all the amazing things the students there are doing. I want to be a part of that and the LSAT is one of the things I have to tackle in order to get there.

• edited December 2020 70 karma

I'm not 170+, but I was two or three questions shy. My biggest motivation was wanting acceptance to a respectable school with no debt. You could think about the LSAT in any number of ways– as a puzzle, a game, a stepping stone to law school, an entertaining 3 hours where you learn about Navajo blanket weaving and perspectives about it, and so on. Believe me when I say, there's no stronger motivating factor than realizing that two or three more correct responses could be the deciding factor in whether you go to a law school for free or take on 6-figure debt. Yes, the LSAT sucks, but getting a decent score and securing an excellent scholarship means that you could graduate almost debt-free, and there's no greater gift than that in this day and age (mind you, avg law school debt nowadays is 160k at an 8% interest rate).

Fight for the money and your future financial freedom!

• Brahim MBrahim M Core Member
    66 karma

In the process of striving for a 170+ (175 is my goal). Have been at this since May 2020. If I can add a few things. The LSAT will really test how much you want it. Every corner and hurdle will present its challenges. Sometimes the biggest challenges you have seen yet and sometimes challenges that can be easily overcome. In my almost 8 month process, I have learned to seriously take breaks and not burn too much. Some pressure is needed, of course. Also vowing to myself that I can really apply myself to this exam and it can change my life both short and long term. Writing and articulating (journaling even) and manifesting what is possible has helped me. This exam is a lot (especially goals of 170+) and it might take long. Promising myself that I will study and work at this, for however long it takes, has given me the edge that has carried me.