Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debating a Diversity Statement... am I crazy?

Big_Hig37Big_Hig37 Member
edited January 2021 in Law School Admissions 8 karma

Let me begin this with some context: I have never qualified for any type of diversity related situation in my life. However, somebody said something to me the other day that popped a lightbulb on in my head and now I need your advice 7sage...

I am a twenty-something year old without social media. That's right, not a single one. Zilch. Do you think that would fly? The group of people I was talking to informed me that I was the only person they knew in the world (lol) that didn't at least have facebook.

My initial thought was to spin it as not being influenced by Silicon Valley algorithms all day (no offense), and how disconnecting myself from that sort of content has opened up both my mind and my personality more to other's point of view.

Am I crazy? Will an adcom laugh me out of the building?

HELP

To write, or not to write....
  1. Social Media Statement?23 votes
    1. Do it
      30.43%
    2. Don't do it
      65.22%
    3. You don't have 2000 followers on Tik Tok? loser....
        4.35%

Comments

• alexmahmoudalexmahmoud Core Member
    89 karma

does a 7sage account count as social media? ;)

• alexmahmoudalexmahmoud Core Member
    89 karma

i say go for it

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

Hahah honestly not a bad idea. Anything that sets you apart from others is diversity. Doesn't just revolve around race, age, gender, etc. I don't think they would laugh at it. I personally think it shows that you are a strong independent person, which is hard to find in young people these days. Go for it.

• bananabobananabo Core Member
    1211 karma

I think it depends.

If you can successfully and genuinely express to the adcoms that not having social media helps to bring something new to the table and gives a new perspective in the classroom, I say go for it. But I think it’s a tricky topic because even though it might be rare for someone in your age group to not have social media, you will also have to consider that your class will comprise of people of all ages, not just people in their twenties.

P.S. I’m also in my twenties without social media and I get the same response as you! It’s pretty funny to see people’s reactions hahaha :smiley: