Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most & Some

hellomehellome Core Member
edited January 2021 in Logical Reasoning 44 karma

I understand this:
A ---most---> B -----> C | Valid Inference A---most--->C

I don't understand this:
A -----> B ---most---> C | no valid inference

Why isn't A <---some---> C a valid inference?

Please Help!!! :_(

Comments

• barista17barista17 Member
    112 karma

Here is an example using letters:

AAAAAAAAAA
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
    .....................................CCCCCCCCCCCCC

All "A" is B. Most "B" is "C." There is not at least one (some) A that is a C. That is, there is no "A" that is "C." So, no valid inference can be made.

• hellomehellome Core Member
    edited January 2021 44 karma

@barista17 said:
    Here is an example using letters:

AAAAAAAAAA
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
    .....................................CCCCCCCCCCCCC

All "A" is B. Most "B" is "C." There is not at least one (some) A that is a C. That is, there is no "A" that is "C." So, no valid inference can be made.

Thank you!!!

I think I get it. So just B doesn't mean A because the correct contrapositive of A----->B is /B----->/A right? But satisfying the necessary condition doesn't lead anywhere.....I think....

I think my mistake is assuming every B is A

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    500 karma

You’re correct. If you affirm the necessary condition (B) you don’t know anything else. You can’t assume that if you have a B you also have an A.

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    606 karma

Use a venn diagram when trying to break down some and most concepts.

also draw elements on a piece of paper and try to make sense of them like @barista17 did!

• FaviPapi-1-1FaviPapi-1-1 Member
    edited January 2021 313 karma

Diagram 1: A -----> B ---most---> C

From Diagram 1, we cannot come up with any proper inferences. The reason to that is the following: we do not know how big the B group is...

Let's say there are 10 people in the A group, and all those 10 people in such group are in the B group. How big is the B group? Let's assume it's 100 people in such group; 10 of those 100 people are from the A group.

Now, most Bs are in C. It could that 90 people of those 100 people of group B that were not from group A are in C. If that is the case, then we cannot conclude that some As are Cs since none of the As were in C...

I hope this helps; good luck.

44 karma

Super helpful. Thank you so much!

• Sailor Moon LSATSailor Moon LSAT Member
    200 karma

Also, just know that if a universal quantifier (all, every, any etc) goes first, followed by an existential quantifier (some, most) you can't draw an inference. I remember it by thinking of the some/most words as a road block, but when the straight up ---> arrow is second, I think of it as a rope that allows you to pull through the elements to make an inference.

44 karma

That's brilliant! Thank you so, so much @"Merly Goodleaf"!