Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FSU vs SMU

Hey Guys so I’m deciding between FSU(Tallahassee) and SMU (Dallas )

I have a month to decide

SMU ends up costing more by at least $75 k over three years ... 98K more over 10 years when you include interest

SMU for me I feel like has better employment numbers especially since most students end up working for private firms

FSU students mainly end up working in govt jobs and get paid much less on average by 22k a year

FSU obviously has a much nice campus and is in a much prettier state overall not that Texas isn’t pretty

What are your thoughts??? Especially about FSU?

I feel like if I go there it would be a career killer

I definitely don’t want to be a public defender ... prosecutor ... personal injury attorney ... or a criminal defense attorney

I’m really into politics ... tech ( IP law & cyberspace law ) ... corporate law

The SMU student body looks like it’s more conservative which is a plus for me since I lean more conservative

If anybody is at FSU or SMU ... give me your honest opinion!

FSU or SMU
  1. FSU or SMU17 votes
    1. FSU
      11.76%
    2. Smu
      88.24%

Comments

• 1050 karma

Heyyy! I went to SMU for my masters. I know very, very little about the law school, but anecdotally, SMU always seemed to have a very strong alumni network in Dallas.

I lived in Dallas for 4 years, and Fort Worth for 2... so if you have any questions about the school in general or living in that neck of the woods, I could probably field those questions. The SMU campus is very beautiful.

• 99thPercentileOrDieTryin99thPercentileOrDieTryin Free Trial Member
    edited February 2021 652 karma

Where do you want to practice? Does one of the schools have a higher-ranked program you like? I'd honestly recommend the school with the lower cost if things are close otherwise.

Comparing the two schools' ABA 509s shows that a much higher percentage of SMU's graduates go on to law firms whereas FSU grads get more clerkships. Since you express and interest to work at a private firm go with SMU - especially if you're shooting for a big firm. It's not close.

• ExNewYorkerExNewYorker Alum Member
    117 karma

I would prefer Texas just because tech companies are flocking there

But obviously Florida is prettier and nicer to live

• neilpateldneilpateld Member
    15 karma

A lot of SMU alum are in Dallas BigLaw, so SMU grads have pretty good prospects in the Dallas market. I can't speak for if you want to work outside of Texas. If you want to work in tech law, or conservative politics, then Texas is the way to go (especially SMU for the latter - it's definitely a conservative institution). Also Dallas is a great city for young professionals. I think you seem like a really good fit for SMU based on the profile you've described. Plus SMU gives you the chance to attend a school that will win more than three football games a season.

• ExNewYorkerExNewYorker Alum Member
    117 karma

That’s good to hear ... I appreciate your insight !

• Dallas. Dallas over Tallahassee every single time. And since most people practice in or near the city where they went to school, your law school location is likely to be your home for a very long time. But I'm stuck on $75k - $98k and the thought process on financing. If Tallahassee is cheaper by that much, a law degree is a law degree is a law degree outside of the top schools. Look to your financial future when making this school decision. You are stealing from your future self if you don't take that into account.