Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Think of Yourself as Already Being an Attorney

CSieck3507CSieck3507 Member
in General 1376 karma

Happy Sunday,

I just wanted to share with my fellow 7Sager's what technique I have used to really help me with not only answering LR questions faster, but also to really dive into the stimulus and understand it.

Think of yourself as already being an attorney, and that your opposing counsel just gave you an argument, which in this case would be the stimulus. You know in order to win your case, you need to defeat his/her argument in court and tell the Judge why his/her argument is flawed. Thus, as an attorney, your job is to pick out the details of the argument, break down the structure and counter what the opposing counsel said so you can win.

This technique has really helped me because we all want to be lawyers (unless you're taking the LSAT just for fun which would be crazy) and because we want to be lawyers, we have to read with attention to detail and pick out what is wrong with other people's arguments and explain to the Judge on why you are right and opposing counsel is wrong.

Overall, think of yourself as an already licensed attorney and you're just going through the motions of breaking down opposing counsels argument, picking out the flaw, or just simply rationalizing what they said. If you can focus on that and dummy it down, in no time you'll be killing the LR sections.

Lastly, if someone has already used this analogy, Kudos because it has really helped me out.

Have a great week everyone and feel free to share other analogous techniques you have used in the comments!

Comments

• 1058 karma

I have been practicing this mindset as well! It really does help.

• lsatgirl-1lsatgirl-1 Alum Member
    256 karma

• 256 karma

Absolutely

• Manik PanicManik Panic Core Member
    edited March 2020 111 karma

absolutely. same with so many games in life... if masters in one area, and you want a phd, think like the phd's. if bad with social interaction, get the skills and become great, like the greats. put the hard work in. "fake it to make it", for some, but from a position of authenticity. no matter what always invest in reality. self-investment and time are the most important assets, more so than money even. a man who wastes an hour or a day, may as well waste his life, for he doesn't understand the true value of life. inefficiency in all places must be ruthlessly culled.

(coming from someone with high potential and often did well, other times totally was a mess - related to ADHD and various other things as well as misdiagnosis, near death experiences, addictions, bad habits). I'm waking up 2-3am, reading 2000 pages in a few days, doing 600 questions at times. At least for LR and RC. The reading is not really related to the LSAT, but some of it is, but it still helps RC. One day soon, hopefully I can do a lot of LG. It just seems that I'm better at the other sections, and could improve once I saw a few ways how to do things and then, sharpened my intuition. I can get more games right now, without drawing... but that is dicey as I'm not "that good" at that section yet. It will come.

I have much of what I want in life, but say there's like 20 excellent habits I have, one bad habit 20x a year is better than 2000x a year, but it is still imperfect. Despite no gyms for obvious reasons related to the pandemic, I still do 1000 + pushups, bodyweight squats, crunches a day. I was working out 2x a day before 7am. This is probably too much, but I'm quite lean and athletic. Not because "I'm so great", I was obese at 15, and a runner at 16. Faked it to make it there, until I kind of disliked myself, if I didn't play sports, hit the gym etc. There's way better exercises than running, but I digress.

I actually think for once I have learned to keep a schedule, and become super efficient, even without only last minute pressure. Since a year and a half ago, maybe 2 years ago, I've been using a bullet journal. That is offline, I also have a voice recorder/ dictaphone... keeping it offline. I rarely venture online outside of work and study that necessitates it. All my devices are in greyscale, seriously helps make internet time more efficient, and enables me to get like 20 hours of work done in 8-10hrs. Not everyday of course. I did kind of mess up when I looked into the news, and then tripped out for a while... also it was my bday, and I'm isolated, which is fine, meanwhile all these fat overfed drunk heffers are partying it up in Florida. Bunch of dbags.

You can learn from friends, enemies and peers, and even randoms, in all aspects of the game of life. Adapt and improvise and overcome, strictly adhering to the moral code that you instill habitually. This includes studying, while in law school, or undergrad, or working in a company, or your own company. I still hate planning and it is alien to me, but if I get 80-95% of what I want done, usually on time, and ahead of time, at times... that's way way better than a couple unis and high schools I went to. It can be better, but you gotta relax too here and there.

Flexible scheduling, written, voice, and the Ivy Lee Task method all helped me a lot.

Also reading some books in audio format, 3-4x normal speed and then reading the books that I actually like reading on screen or in book format, helped too.

Sidenote: I kind of hate LG. But, I hated many problem solving courses and somehow did them... and unlike those, this* actually has a TON of practice tests. So much like LR,RC, I've gotta take time to get the fundamentals and then keep shoring up my skills. I'm sure it will get better.

It's easier to think of yourself as an attorney (and whatever you choose to do in this life, with your limited time), when it's a priority and done for self-investment, i.e. the right reasons. Reasons only you can decide.

• karlanderson258karlanderson258 Free Trial Member
    1 karma

Well, I think that your technique could be helpful in the most daily situations as well. Analyzing the argument of the other person is always a good way to understand him better. If you want to come up with your own points it's always better to know what exactly your temporary opponent means.

And you're right, most attorneys use this technique to win their opponents in the courts. My friend is a wrongful death attorney and thanks to his ability in understanding people's arguments he managed to build a good career.

• DeirdreGrahamxDdDeirdreGrahamxDd Free Trial Member
    edited February 2021 2 karma

I think it's crucial to understand the way people think and the way that you've described is just perfect. And it's interesting to listen and analyze every argument because it may be so helpful in every aspect of your life. I don't remember who said that but it's a wise phrase "90% of your success is based on the way you interact with people" and I think that law school has helped me a lot. I'm an introvert by nature, and I believe I have improved my social skills. I hope that one day I'll be a great lawyer because it's my passion and I haven't decided on the specialization yet. One of my friends has already started her carrier in https://www.blclawcenter.com and she's a bankruptcy lawyer which is so inspiring.

• This_is_HardThis_is_Hard Alum Member
    815 karma

:)