Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

150 LSAT and 3.9 GPA, do I have a chance?

canniffemmacanniffemma Core Member

Looking for some hope.. with these numbers do I have a chance of getting into law school?

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

law school? sure, one that might be worth the price, likely not. Seeing as you have a good GPA, I'd focus on getting that score at least up to the 160 range. That would change your range of schools significantly, and likely also your career outcome.

• ceejay55ceejay55 Core Member
    31 karma

Agreed with the Logician, there's a law school that's willing to take any combination of GPA and LSAT, including yours which really isn't bad, by the way. You have a really solid GPA and I understand that the LSAT is challenging, but unfortunately, that LSAT is prohibitive. Although a law school will admit you, not all law schools are worth going to and it will be hard to find a law school that is both affordable and will place you into a job post-grad with a 150. Take some time and raise your LSAT before applying even if that disrupts the timeline you have for your life. What would you say are your biggest challenges with the LSAT?

• 187 karma

I have seen dozens of lawyers in reasonable jobs that went to lower rated schools that have made good livings and successful careers. The Kane County District Attorney (Illinois) went to Depaul Law (rated at 118 in country) and there she is, the Kane County States Attorney that had a successful legal practice for several years prior to beating another candidate. Look at the firms in your area that you are interested in practicing and see where they went. Look around you and your legal community. There is always a place for a good lawyer. Plenty of lawyers that went to highly rated schools quite law after a short time. The same is true of all lawyers and the schools they attended. Nothing is certain beyond the effort you are willing to dedicate yourself to and the success you are willing to try achieve thru your own hard work and love of your dreams.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I would recommend retaking regardless of your goal school. Even if your goal school has a median of 150, retaking and scoring higher would put you in the running for a lot more $$. There's no reason to take loans and pay full price when you can put yourself in the running for much more $$ through drilling more logic games and whatnot.

• canniffemmacanniffemma Core Member
    12 karma

Thank you all so much for the kind words. It is appreciated beyond measure. For some reason, I am struggling the most with R.C. which is strange to me because I am generally strong reader. Any tips to improve my score? > @ceejay55 said:

Agreed with the Logician, there's a law school that's willing to take any combination of GPA and LSAT, including yours which really isn't bad, by the way. You have a really solid GPA and I understand that the LSAT is challenging, but unfortunately, that LSAT is prohibitive. Although a law school will admit you, not all law schools are worth going to and it will be hard to find a law school that is both affordable and will place you into a job post-grad with a 150. Take some time and raise your LSAT before applying even if that disrupts the timeline you have for your life. What would you say are your biggest challenges with the LSAT?

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I'll both agree with and dissent with (pun intended) some of the above comments. I think that with a 3.9 GPA you can probably get admitted to that 50-100 rank range school right now. I have a friend who got some scholarship to GWU with a 158, I can't imagine that a decent second tier school somewhere wouldn't admit you, though it's late this cycle.

With that said, you have a 3.9. that's the hard and unchangeable part. If you can improve your LSAT you could get a large scholarship almost anywhere (obviously dependent upon how much you improve). It doesn't make sense to go to school for sticker this year when you could wait, improve, and go to a much better school with up to a full ride in a year. You'll spend a long time paying off that six figure debt even if you go Big Law. Better to take the year now and improve. You can absolutely do it. Your 3.9 proves that you have the smarts, organization, and dedication to make it happen.