Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does a low GPA but high LSAT have a chance at Columbia/ NYU with ED?

aishatungaishatung Alum Member
edited October 2017 in Law School Admissions 104 karma

Comments

• BryantFuBryantFu Alum Member
    72 karma
    This should help give you an idea of where you may fall in the admissions stats: https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    You'll be a splitter, but if you grab a 173+, yeah, you'll have a decent chance.

That said, you're getting ahead of yourself;) Let the possibility of those schools motivate you, but speculation beyond that is only going to serve as a distraction at this point. I've been there and I know, lol. Focus on that 173. Once that's behind you, then start looking more deeply into your prospects.
  • aishatungaishatung Alum Member
    104 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Sigh I know, I always get distracted and my mind wanders off after I get a good PT score hahaha but yes I'll focus on getting a good score for now, thank you :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    @aishatung said:
    I always get distracted and my mind wanders off after I get a good PT score
    Yep, was the same for me! I ran all kinds of different numbers. Comparing best/worst case scenarios, and literally every score in between. Huge waste of time and an enormous emotional weight. It's not worth it, haha!
  • cthang94cthang94 Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    My instructor got a 180 perfect score and she went to Columbia as a splitter. Try to aim for a 180 haha
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    edited January 2017 1644 karma
    looking for more schools favor splitter.
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma
    I think @"Cant Get Right" is definitely on point here.
    It's very easy to get distracted (and discouraged) speculating.

Get the score.
    Then consider the options.
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    edited January 2017 645 karma
    Based on LSAC search,173 puts your chances in the 25% to 35% range. 175 raises this to around 50%.

But I'd agree with the above comments. Get your score first and then think about school selection. Thoughts like "I need X score for Y school" could increase your stress.
  • aishatungaishatung Alum Member
    104 karma
    Thanks guys haha, I'll definitely try to not speculate potential schools from now on until I get my score :)
  • leslieh327leslieh327 Alum Member
    130 karma
    Its hard not to think about prospective schools! I am in the same position. Trying to conquer this LSAT first!
  • sweetalison007sweetalison007 Free Trial Member
    48 karma

I read somewhere on reddit that this person transferred to Columbia with a 3.4ish GPA and 174 LSAT....

Anyways if you want to practise in New York then you can try for Washington Uni... That's a great law school - ranked 25th.

Else Northwestern is a great option. They love splitters.

Columbia might be a long shot. Unless you are URM, first generation college, etc, STEM major etc. A STEM major from Carnegie Mellon got into HLS with a 3.1 GPA.