Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That 160s hump...

catbellycatbelly Core Member

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm at that 160s hump. I'm ranging from anywhere between 160-mid160s. I can't seem to get passed it. I'm around 1-3 LG, 2-5 RC, and 6-8 LR!!! The LR section is really dragging me down. I'm thinking about re-reading The Loophole. I've already done 7sage's core curriculum. I've even read Mike Kim's book and the PowerScore LR Bible. Does anyone have any other suggestions for improving on the LR?

Comments

• 279 karma

How do you BR?
    One thing that tends to work for me when I am stagnating slow down and get into the nitty-gritty.
    I suggest when you do BR to start writing everything down - kind of like modifying the Loophole method.
    So take the section and write down in a Word file:
    Stimulus Type
    Stimulus Translation:
    Loophole: (Inf etc)
    Q Type
    Powerful or Provable
    Q Strategy (verbalize how you are going to attack it)
    Prediction: (of what the answer choice should say)
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    with translation of each choice and rationale why is it right/wrong

You can do it on flagged questions, but I have totally blow up my own logic on a couple of questions that I thought I was solid on during timed practice, so I suggest doing whole sections.
    It will probably take a decent chunk of time to do a BR, but you will start seeing some of the structural patters that you are missing under time pressure. You just need to see it in slo-mo till it clicks.

Also, if you are not able to recall all the techniques from the loophole, I suggest flash cards or Quizlet until you internalize them. During practice, you can also reference the book, to help you apply the process thoroughly. Same goes for 7sage strategies too. You have to have them seared in your brain like your phone number and your name.

• catbellycatbelly Core Member
    198 karma

Thank you for this! I BR similarly to what you suggest. I identify Question type, Translate the stimulus, and explain why I pick a certain answer over others.

I'm going to try Q Strategy and Prediction -- those are really good suggestions.

I've noticed that the questions I get wrong on LR tend to be scattered. It's not really like I'm only missing SA questions, or only missing certain logical flaws, etc. I feel like my incorrect questions are random, like I just didn't understand the logic for that specific question.

Not sure if others have the same problem?

@"M.Y.M.M.Y.M." said:
    How do you BR?

• 279 karma

I would look at the metrics from a bunch of tests you did and I would pick the Q you got wrong, group them per Q type and drill each type separately, referencing the curriculum, until it clicks. There are so many little things here and there that you don't catch the first time around, but eventually fall into place.
    Btw, you can add any piece you want - the Q Strategy was something I added because I saw I was getting sloppy, so I wanted to force myself to articulate it until I never miss it.
    Even something simple as the Powerful/Provable was there not to ID the Q per se, but to remind me to pay attention to the ACs, because I had a tendency to fall for strongly worded trap answers and I had to teach myself to not jump the gun on those.

@jenleeva said:
    Thank you for this! I BR similarly to what you suggest. I identify Question type, Translate the stimulus, and explain why I pick a certain answer over others.

I'm going to try Q Strategy and Prediction -- those are really good suggestions.

I've noticed that the questions I get wrong on LR tend to be scattered. It's not really like I'm only missing SA questions, or only missing certain logical flaws, etc. I feel like my incorrect questions are random, like I just didn't understand the logic for that specific question.

Not sure if others have the same problem?

@"M.Y.M.M.Y.M." said:
    How do you BR?

• catbellycatbelly Core Member
    198 karma

Yes! I have the same problem with strongly worded trap answers too. Thank you!

@"M.Y.M.M.Y.M." said:
    I would look at the metrics from a bunch of tests you did and I would pick the Q you got