Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proctor U anxiety! Help :(

SKY54321SKY54321 Member
in General 90 karma

I know there are a ton of other more pressing things to be anxious about such as the test itself. But I am a first time test taker for the June LSAT and I cannot shake my anxiety about proctor u. Like I’ve spent all this time studying and I feel like some technical issue could derail everything!

Would anyone be able to enlighten me as to what happens if there is a complete technical fail on test day?? Do you then have to wait until the August test to re-take?! Or have they built some re-take days into June to account for this issue? Has Proctor U done anything to improve since the lsat went flex? I’ve read so many comments about proctors stopping the test multiple times, or camera not working, etc. that it freaks me out. thanks!!

Comments

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

I can't answer everything but have you gone to ProctorU yet to do a computer check? It makes sure that it can access camera/mic/etc and that you have enough RAM (if not, just restart your comp and try again). LSAC has some re-take days to account for technical issues but I don't have any first hand experience to answer specifically what that is like. The hosts of the Powerscore podcast mentioned that digital administration has been improving since it began (iirc it's less people retaking due to technical problems). I was one of 20K (ish) people who took it in April and my experience was totally fine. It's hard to not get to psyched out, but you can prep a little in advance and hopefully that gives you some reassurance. Tbh I took a few sessions with my boyfriend as a proctor and he would periodically interrupt with reminders to keep my head in frame, etc. Idk if that was overkill or if it even did anything, but I was decently calm on test day.

• rnarayan95rnarayan95 Member
    37 karma

hi! if there is a complete fail, you write an appeal and get to do a retest the next week. My proctor was truly terrible for the April test and I get to retest on Thursday

• scarnnnnscarnnnn Member
    39 karma

I definitely understand your concerns - I was very worried about interruptions as well (I wrote in April). This post got kinda long as I was writing but anyway here it goes!

There is a date for retakes after each exam. I think for April the retakes are happening on April 22nd. The process for submitting a complaint seems pretty straight forward and LSAC monitors the complaints like 24/7 during the test dates. The info is on their website.

For what it's worth, I read online that something like 93% of test takers on Proctor U don't have any proctor interruptions once their test starts. A few percent receive 1 message from their proctor during the test, and an even smaller percentage have multiple interruptions. I think the issues are massively over represented on forums because people are more likely to post about a negative experience vs a positive one.

I also think that there are things you can do to be proactive and minimize the chances of being interrupted. Heading into my test I took stock of the common issues people had from reddit etc, here's what I came up with if it helps you or anyone else.

1. Staying in camera view. Many interruptions seem to come from peoples' faces being out of view during the test, most commonly during logic games when they are writing on their scrap paper. Before the test, set up your desk how you will on test day. Turn on your webcam and check if you remain in view when writing on your paper. If you don't, rearrange until you do, and take note of where your computer and paper are on your desk.

2. Room setup issues. Some people have had the following issues during room scan: proctor wants the door behind them, windows don't have blinds, backpack/bag is nearby. You can browse the April LSAT Flex thread on reddit.com/r/LSAT if you want to see what else people have run into. Try to find a place to take the test where these things won't be an issue. If you can't it's not the end of the world - I had a door right beside my desk and my proctor didn't care. But minimize the potential issues to give yourself peace of mind.

3. Internet connectivity. It sounds like the proctor will interrupt if your video feed cuts out, which can happen if your internet lags. Try to use a wired internet connection if possible, be close to your router, ask roommates/family to stay off the internet while you're writing the test. Internet speeds can vary depending on how many people are using the connection, what they are downloading/uploading, etc.

4. System requirements. Go to the Proctor U website and check the system requirements well in advance of your test. Make sure your internet is fast enough, you have enough RAM, your operating system is new enough, etc.

5. Glasses. This is probably less common but if you wear glasses, make sure you have them on during check-in. Some people have been interrupted because they put on glasses midway through the test, and the proctor needed to check the glasses because they weren't seen during check-in/room scan.

6. Talk to your proctor at the start. Before your test starts you are able to ask your proctor questions. I think most of them are pleasant, reasonable people. You can check with the proctor to make sure that they will pause the time if they need to interrupt you.

If you can be proactive about these things, I personally think the chances of having any major issues are pretty slim. There are obviously some unavoidable technical issues that people have run into, but if you do all this I think you should be fine.

• SKY54321SKY54321 Member
    90 karma

Thank you all so much! Knowing there is a re-test option does make me feel better somewhat. And the statistics regarding how many people actually have issues makes me feel better as well. I've been reading so many negative experiences that it seemed to be a much more prevalent issue than it actually is. Thank you for all the tips and advice, I will definitely implement your suggestions!!

• 424 karma

Another tip that helped me - I think it was a PowerScore podcast - was when you talk to / “meet” your proctor before the test, say something like “this is a very important test, so I appreciate you being so friendly.” Many proctors apparently don’t quite “get” how important this test is, so building a good rapport helps

• SKY54321SKY54321 Member
    90 karma

@"Hal Incandenza" oh that's a great tip! Thank you!