Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could I improve from a 151 to 172+ ?

ExNewYorkerExNewYorker Alum Member
edited April 2021 in General 117 karma

Study tips .... study schedule .... any advice helps

I’ve taken the lsat twice ... and have studied it for over two years sporadically
  1. Could I get to a 170 within one to two years ?47 votes
    1. Yes
      93.62%
    2. No
        6.38%

Comments

• 103 karma

yes. You can do anything within that time frame. It is a lot of hard work and dedication.

• 424 karma

I’d make sure that you study consistently 5 days a week - do the 7Sage CC first, really making sure to understand the fundamentals well. Then I’d follow the 7Sage “foolproof your logic games” advice - if you do that every day for 1-2 months, you’ll get substantially better at LG. That progress should give you a huge confidence boost, and then you can get to LR drills. Don’t attempt anything until you understand the fundamentals, then drill, drill, drill. Do it all on 7S so that you have access to try analytics to see where you most need help. And it’s been said before, but study time only counts if your TV is off and your phone is in another room :). When you’re sick of studying, try your best to relax by reading whenever possible - read as much as you can - and that also helps significantly. Good luck, but know that it’s completely doable!!

• ExNewYorkerExNewYorker Alum Member
    117 karma

@"Hal Incandenza" So read here and there instead of doing RC passages?? Or should I alternate?

• 424 karma

Is absolutely do both - the RC passages have a pattern to em that you’ll notice, and the questions also have patterns and tricks you can only find by drilling. The side reading is really “in addition” as opposed to “instead of.” I personally think about 60% of the test is your ability to read / “translate” difficult prose into easier prose, so constant reading really helps. All IMO, of course.

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Hello, You can absolutely increase from a 151 to a 172. Though the work that will need to be put in will be a lot. With a 151 the fastest way to get to a 160 would be to master the games section like mentioned above. Then work on LR/RC as you see fit. But with a 151, I would go back into the CC and review some fundamental concepts that are not quite there. There are podcasts that are pinned at the top of the discussion board about 7sage students who made the jump from like 130' 40s and 50s to the 170s. I would recommend taking a look at them and also reading some of the stories of the 7sage students who made the 20+ point jump and look at their methods and schedule compared to what you are doing. I have learned and changed the way I study with tweaks here and there because of the posts that come out of students who jumped 20+ points. I think I have a solid method of study that work for me. A common thread that I see with the students who do that 20+ point jump is the consistency of when and how they study. They all(most) created a method that works for them and they followed it until they mastered it. Not all the methods they use work for me but I have pulled many from different stories. Plus reading their stories gives me hope and confidence that I can do the same thing.

• Slow is FastSlow is Fast Alum Member
    edited April 2021 445 karma

It's possible but also depends on how much you want that 172+. The best way to ensure success is to deserve it. Will sporadic studying over 1-2 years get you there?

My point is you can't expect to "put in the hours" for this test by clicking around on the forum and doing practice problems when you feel like it. Depth of focus and depth of understanding are crucial. How you spend your hours preparing is more important than the sheer number of hours. Suggestions from the folks above are all great ways to improve so long as you are consistent and focused in your practice.

(Not sure if the tone of this is a little harsh but it is all meant with the hope that you reach your goal score :)).