Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coffee Drinkers?

tbram519tbram519 Alum Member
in General 77 karma
I've read over and over that people advise against drinking coffee before the LSAT to avoid a crash and to avoid the... Laxative response it often elicits. However, I believe I am probably not the only one who is physically incapable of functioning at a college level without some form of caffeine. I generally drink coffee both before and during my PT's. What are you coffee drinkers planning to do? Drink a cup before going inside the testing center? Bring some coffee for the break? Caffeine pills? ADULT DIAPER!?!?

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    I noticed that coffee makes me pee way too often whereas I do fairly well with some types of those "tea energy" drinks. Those cans only have 30mg caffeine and my body responds well (prob because of the lower caffeine content).
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    LOL I have got this down to a system. I was so worried about this because I typically drink 3 cups of coffee a day. I drink 90% of a large Americano (3 shots of espresso) 2 hours before the test -- no more coffee/liquids after that save for the last 5-10%. This gives enough time to go to the bathroom and for the caffeine to kick in. Don't drink coffee before the test -- it's not worth risking the need to pee in the middle of your section. I'm going to bring a caffeine pill in my ziploc bag JUST IN CASE I need the energy.

However, when I took the test in February, I was SO amped up that I didn't need coffee. Chances are your adrenaline will be pumping like crazy so staying alert is the last thing you need.
  • PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
    359 karma
    team diaper
  • littlesnickerslittlesnickers Member Inactive Sage
    271 karma
    I also need the caffeine buzz so I spent the last week doing liquid intake observations... I determined that if I drink a tall (Starbucks size) espresso drink with an extra shot of espresso at 10:30 and then go to the bathroom at 12, I'll be sufficiently caffeinated yet not inconvenienced haha.

Also, take it with a grain of salt, but I've read that the body kind of naturally energizes itself a couple hours after you wake up, so to maximize coffee effectiveness it's best to drink it after those couple hours.
  • fishtwentyfivefishtwentyfive Free Trial Member
    edited December 2015 227 karma
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I'm a huge tea drinker (like, really huge) and have been studying, rating/reviewing, and purchasing select, "face to farmer" teas for years. I only mention this in an attempt to add credibility to my suggestion... matcha tea. In case you are unfamiliar with matcha, the drink is not yielded from an infusion of leaves but is instead a fine powder of the leaves themselves. The type of leaf is very specific (I won't go into detail) and higher quality matchas use early-picked and/or better shaded leaves to yield a greener, sweeter, less bitter, and more vibrant tea, so getting a small batch that is drinkable with just water and a firm whisk is definitely pricey.

But the caffeine content is very high, there is no crash, and the tea is packed with goodies that have frequently gotten me through fever-ridden finals, sick weeks, and otherwise seemingly insurmountable obstacles. I do, of course, love the taste above any of matcha's other benefits. If you were to go this route, don't buy any cheapy crap from Starbucks or a grocery store.

Something like this would suffice:
    http://aiyamatcha.com/consumers/matcha-poducts/ceremonial-matcha-30-gram-tin.html

Hope this help! Oh, and drinking matcha is great for the test, because the caffeine is absorbed much more slowly (and thus over a lengthier period of time), and there's little need to worry about drink intake, given that a bowl of matcha is less than a cup of total fluid.
  • Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    578 karma
    What you need to do is let your body adjust to whatever strategy you plan to use on test day. So.. if you plan on slamming starbucks outside the testing center, make sure for the next few days that you slam starbucks at like 1PM. If you plan on taking caffeine pills, do a test-run a few days before. We can hypothesize all day but you need to get a preview of how your body will actually react at a similar time of day and with the same chemicals you plan on ingesting. Don't go too hard though, or you'll build up a tolerance.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I drink coffee like no other. There is no way you could get me to stop for an exam. I agree with @"Dr. Yamata".
    I had a Monster energy drink in my water bottle for the break as well. I didn't crash at all.
  • Legal BabeLegal Babe Alum Member
    17 karma
    Half a redbull before any PT but my blood pressure as been super high.... What wouldn't I do for the LSAT "sighs"
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    @Petrichor said:
    team diaper
    This is the credited response.

But no seriously, that's what your practice is for. Figure out a system that works for you, and thank your lucky stars that you're not a smoker too (unless you are, in which case I doubly feel for you)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2015 7965 karma
    @"Jonathan Wang" said:
    thank your lucky stars that you're not a smoker
    Team patch!

Not a current member of that team but it could be an option.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Zombie thread back from the dead... Just chug a half gallon of Califia Farms Cold Brew Coffee with Almond Milk a couple hours before the test and you'll be moving and grooving.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Disclaimer: I don't work for Califia Farms but I am singlehandedly putting their kids through college.
  • tbram519tbram519 Alum Member
    77 karma
    I am sincerely glad to see the resurgence my 7Sage post that I am most proud of.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Happy to share my bodily functions with you guys for the sake of the test.

Both times I took the test I drank one 8 oz of coffee, I got to the test site early and used the bathroom. For the whole test I didn't have the urge.