Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having trouble with grouping games.

bornkippybornkippy Core Member
in Logic Games 30 karma

I have hit a plateau where I can regularly go -4 through -5 on LR and RC, but almost always go -10 through -12 on LG. The culprit seems to be grouping games. I just have trouble visualizing inferences when there are so many different scenarios. Any advice?

Comments

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

A couple things that helped me with grouping games

-how confident are you with different types of numerical inferences? Are you drawing them out as visually as possible? When I started looking for this kind of info, my grouping games definitely improved. And even if there aren’t any numerical limitations, you still benefit by knowing that the game is probably going to be more open ended.
    -how good is your grasp of lawgic? Are you spending too much time seeing if a conditional rule applies or not?
    -are you truly maximizing the inferences? Meaning, are you able to see how rules come together before you start with questions?

• tryingtodaytryingtoday Core Member
    18 karma

I was in a very similar boat about a month ago. From the problem you described, it sounds like you might just need to practice and review more grouping games to gain comfort.

Based on my experience, I think some ways to improve could be:

1) Making sure you're totally comfortable with in/out games; I see those as a necessary building block for proficiency with grouping
    2) Fool-proofing the grouping games in the course curriculum. So, repeating them until you can do them accurately and in the recommended time
    3) Doing problem sets that are basically just the LG section of PTs (which you can do by making a custom problem set from the question bank). For me, a big part of my weakness in LG was managing my time when having to do 4 different types of games in 35 minutes. So this helped me get used to doing the non-grouping games more quickly, and then having more time to spend on grouping. I think it also helped to manage any LG anxiety I had when taking the full length test.

I hope this was helpful!