Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Application Information

Hello! I have some questions about how the actual application process works (for next fall) and a few specific application related questions, but am not sure where to get the answers. If anybody who has applied before is willing to help me sort out some pre-application questions, either via this thread or over direct message me I would really appreciate it! Thank you in advance!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8486 karma

If you just ask your questions here, you should get some good info from a wide range of sources. Right now the board still has members who are just finishing an app cycle... some of us for a 2nd time (ahem), as well as admissions consultants that pop in from time to time.

• carolinelsatcarolinelsat Member
    103 karma

@canihazJD thank you for the advice! Here are a few of my questions that I am still kind of confused how they work...
    1. Can I register for CAS / submit my letter of rec requests over the summer if I am out of school and know who I want to write mine - or do I have to wait until applications actually open?
    2. I know what I want to write in my personal statement, but do I need to tailor it for schools? What I have so far is pretty much exactly 2 pages double spaced, and I think taking something away would hurt the overall statement. But, would it be better to address each school specifically? Or is the personal statement okay to just be broad about me and law school in general?
    3. In relation to my previous question, is it okay to keep my personal statement broad/generic and then do a "why __" for each school, even if they do not necessarily mention optional essays? Or is that inappropriate?
    4. Last question - very specific... I went to undergrad the same place the whole time so only have one transcript, but during two summers I took one class as a "transient student" at my local state college - the course is listed on my official undergrad transcript as a summer transfer credit - do I still have to request a transcript from the local state college?

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited May 2021 8486 karma

Can I register for CAS / submit my letter of rec requests over the summer if I am out of school and know who I want to write mine...

Yes.

I know what I want to write in my personal statement, but do I need to tailor it for schools?

No, though you can... if you do for the love of god make sure you don't mix them up.

What I have so far is pretty much exactly 2 pages double spaced, and I think taking something away would hurt the overall statement. But, would it be better to address each school specifically? Or is the personal statement okay to just be broad about me and law school in general?

Certain schools like Berk (maybe CLS IIRC) say they want more, and/or like it specifically tailored to them or a why law but not a requirement. Anecdotally, I was over medians at Berkeley but used my standard PS (though I did do a WhyX) and got the WL... FML.

In relation to my previous question, is it okay to keep my personal statement broad/generic and then do a "why __" for each school, even if they do not necessarily mention optional essays? Or is that inappropriate?

In my experience yes its fine. I used a 7sage consultant and we did this.

Last question - very specific... I went to undergrad the same place the whole time so only have one transcript, but during two summers I took one class as a "transient student" at my local state college - the course is listed on my official undergrad transcript as a summer transfer credit - do I still have to request a transcript from the local state college?

Yes. Every institution.

• carolinelsatcarolinelsat Member
    103 karma

@canihazJD thank you SO much! I'm sorry about Berkeley - their loss (but still fingers crossed you get off the WL)! This was so helpful.