Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Test Anxiety Strategies

Courtney-4Courtney-4 Member
in General 15 karma

Hey y'all,

I'm wondering if any of you have tips or strategies on how to manage test anxiety while taking the test. I feel like as soon as I realize that my pace is too slow on a certain section, my heart rate goes up, I don't think as clearly, and that's all she wrote. TYIA 🙌🏻

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    4306 karma

One thing I've learned from meditation and breathing techniques is to focus on what's distracting you, allow yourself to recognize its distracting you, then control it. The increased heart rate happens to me too, somewhat randomly but after learning this technique I'm almost always able to get my rate back to normal or even lower. Here's what it looks like in practice

1) *Noticing my heart rate has sped up
    2) *Stop what question I'm on and close my eyes
    3) *Stop breathing, feel your heart pounding on your chest, hold your breath and tell yourself, slow it down
    4) *Focus on your heart rate slowing down
    5) *Get back to the question with complete focus

It might sound like a huge time sink but it actually saves you a lot of time because you're back in control and not allowing yourself to continue with being distracted by your heart rate. Hopefully this helps!