Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Advice Is Welcome

bella.12bella.12 Member

I've been studying for a while now and while I don't necessarily score as horribly as I did before, I can't seem get past the -7/-8 stage. I've gone through MANY of the LR sections and blind reviewed everything. I also watch a majority of the explanation videos, but even that still doesn't seem to be enough. Any advice please? I need help :/

Comments

• hehehe11hehehe11 Member
    26 karma

i personally think a lot doing LR is just becoming familiar with the question stem and knowing the types of invalid arguments that they would throw at you. what is your thought process for LR? How do you tend to approach them? Perhaps adjusting one of these would be beneficial :)

• galacticgalactic Yearly Member
    690 karma

Can I ask how you are performing your BR in detail?

• HopefullyHLSHopefullyHLS Member
    edited June 2021 445 karma

Do you need to guess the last couple questions at the end because you run out of time? If so:

• While you are reading the stimulus, try to visualize in your head what's going on. Especially in long, convoluted stimuli, this will prevent you from having to read it two and three times in order to get the information into your head. If you develop this habit, you'll automatically become a faster reader without the need to make compromises in understanding.

• If you debate between two or more AC, actively train yourself to trust your gut, circle the most plausible AC and move on. I know this can be difficult because nobody of us likes the feeling of being fooled by a question, but keep in mind that a) your are practicing and mistakes are a great opportunity to improve and b) you will conduct a deeper study of the questions during BR

I have been actively applying these two things on timed practice for Reading Comprehension and saw improvement, I believe they are also worth a shot for Logical Reasoning.

Also, have you gone through JY's core curriculum videos on Logical Reasoning? If not, it would be good to do so, and afterwards practice untimed and focus on accuracy (in order to properly build your Logical Reasoning muscles) before going into timed practice sessions.

• 11 karma

@"bella.12" said:
    I've been studying for a while now and while I don't necessarily score as horribly as I did before, I can't seem get past the -7/-8 stage. I've gone through MANY of the LR sections and blind reviewed everything. I also watch a majority of the explanation videos, but even that still doesn't seem to be enough. Any advice please? I need help :/

unfortunately i dont have enough information about your study habits or programs that youre taking.. is your problem that youre not able to finish sections and thus have to guess towards the end or are you having trouble with just the logic of it all?

• bella.12bella.12 Member
    77 karma

@bread_and_water
    Yes I think timing plays a big role because I tend to make a lot of silly mistakes during timed (probably because I panic) but I am able to get the correct answer during BR. I’ve read the Loophole which helped quite a bit and I’m also redoing some of the core curriculum lessons from JY because my weakest areas are SA/NA as well as Parallel Flaw questions.

• 11 karma

@"bella.12" there are ways to get more time on your lsat sections, if you want to explore those routes.

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2021 957 karma

@"bella.12" do you have a skipping strategy? Also, are you actively predicting ACs for questions like flaw, AP, MC, etc?

• bella.12bella.12 Member
    77 karma

@"Burt Reynolds" said:
    @"bella.12" do you have a skipping strategy? Also, are you actively predicting ACs for questions like flaw, AP, MC, etc?

My skipping strategy is usually just skipping over a question that I feel would take too long to understand/diagram and then come back to it if I have time. The only problem is that I skip about 5 questions and I never have time to go back and really figure it out.

I’ve also made it a habit to try and predict AC’s which helps a lot, but certain question types are harder for me so sometimes I can’t determine right away what the answer would be. I’m reviewing the course videos to get more comfortable with those specific question types, any tips that worked for you?