Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

retaking advice

mkdioceemkdiocee Member
in General 79 karma

I'm hoping someone can help me on where to begin with retaking. I just took the June LSAT and scored a 151. Obviously not horrible, but also not where I was wanting, since I was at least PT-ing around 155-158 in the weeks leading up to my test date. I do feel like I had some external factors that didn't help (mental health, burnout from school, winter storm) and I didn't study for as long as I would have liked, nor did I take every PT available to me. I know some people feel as if they can't really improve from their first test, but since it is so "low" I'm really hoping that I can. For anyone who is also planning a retake, or has successfully retaken the LSAT, I would really appreciate any advice. I'm not looking to be in the 160's or 170's; I am very happy with the high 150's, since that's all I really need for where I want to go to school. Is this realistic? Smart? I'd appreciate any help or encouragement!

Comments

• elizabethh777elizabethh777 Member
    48 karma

I think that it's realistic! I have heard that the first LSAT is always the toughest one because of the nerves and you're unfamiliar with the conditions (no matter how well we try to prepare it is unlikely to be as high pressure as the real one). I think it's definitely possible for you to do so especially because there is still about 6 weeks until August and even longer until October- so plenty of time to study!

• sarahblairsarahblair Core Member
    604 karma

Hi!
    I agree with the above that is a very realistic goal. Especially because you can make a lot of progress within the 150's (a little hard to make progress through the 160's and especially 170's). My best advice would be to start with getting as near perfect on logic games as you can. After that, figure out where your weaknesses are. I scored where your goal is (on the June flex) so if you want any more direct advice I would be more than happy to do so. Good luck- you will get there!

• mkdioceemkdiocee Member
    79 karma

@elizabethh777 said:
    I think that it's realistic! I have heard that the first LSAT is always the toughest one because of the nerves and you're unfamiliar with the conditions (no matter how well we try to prepare it is unlikely to be as high pressure as the real one). I think it's definitely possible for you to do so especially because there is still about 6 weeks until August and even longer until October- so plenty of time to study!

Thank you!! I'm planning on October, since I can still apply for early decision with that exam! This was very encouraging and very much what I needed to hear :)

79 karma

@sarahblair said:
    Hi!
    I agree with the above that is a very realistic goal. Especially because you can make a lot of progress within the 150's (a little hard to make progress through the 160's and especially 170's). My best advice would be to start with getting as near perfect on logic games as you can. After that, figure out where your weaknesses are. I scored where your goal is (on the June flex) so if you want any more direct advice I would be more than happy to do so. Good luck- you will get there!

Thank you! I think improving on logic games is probably the best way to start studying again. And congrats on your score as well! And I would appreciate any further advice you have on how to improve and improve consistently.

• 296 karma

If you can increase your LG score, I think this is very possible!

79 karma

@mpereira962D said:
    If you can increase your LG score, I think this is very possible!

Improving on LG seems to be like the general consensus on where to start, so i definitely hope that helps! If you have any words of wisdom/advice on improving I'd love to hear

• 296 karma

Fool proof fool proof fool proof. You just have to practice. There's no trick really. I learned LG on my own (I never took the 7sage curriculum), and you just have to find methods that work for you. Start by trying to play each game under 10-15 mins (depending on how you're scoring now). Play the same games again under 10 mins, push the time down to 8, and try to get down to cracking in 5 mins. When you blind review, play all the sections again.

79 karma

@mpereira962D said:
    Fool proof fool proof fool proof. You just have to practice. There's no trick really. I learned LG on my own (I never took the 7sage curriculum), and you just have to find methods that work for you. Start by trying to play each game under 10-15 mins (depending on how you're scoring now). Play the same games again under 10 mins, push the time down to 8, and try to get down to cracking in 5 mins. When you blind review, play all the sections again.

I think this was my mistake the first go around-not fool proofing my games as I should have. Hopefully this is what I need, since I have the foundations for everything.