Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips for LG hard question formats?

Maxwell-1Maxwell-1 Member
edited July 2021 in Logic Games 21 karma

Hey I'm working on PrepTest 33 S4 G1Q5 (among others) and I keep having issues with complicated question formats.

The general version of the wording that most trips me up is "Which of the following must be true EXCEPT" and an answers like "_____ is not 4". Individually I can deal with these, like when I have an "EXCEPT" question or negative answer choice, but together I keep going in circles.

Are there any steps I should be during to answer these questions without spending 3+ min on them?

For reference, I get -2ish on LG so I am focused on fine tuning, so skipping is something I want to avoid at this point..

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• LSAT LizardLSAT Lizard Alum Member
    edited July 2021 331 karma

To keep dense requirements and relationships better stuck in my head, I tend to translate things into more over-the-top, emotive phrases. It's never 'Z and Y can't be together,' it's always 'Z and Y despise each other.' Things that must be true are angelic champions and things that must be false are despicable rogues.

I see a 'must be true except' question and instead of thinking 'okay, all of these are always true except one' I think 'one of these is a pretender, one of these is lying to me.'

I go through the choices for it and if an answer choice says 'Wednesday is not 4' then I think 'I had ******* better not be able to get 4 on W to work, or you're the liar.'

Then 20 seconds later when I've finished deciding if I can get 4 on W to work or not, I'm less likely to have forgotten what my result means for the question I'm working on.

The entire length of an LG section my internal monologue sounds very emotional, and very unhinged.

It sounds silly but I'm convinced this saves me time that I'd otherwise spend rereading question stems, and also reduces the chances of my mistakenly confusing question types or answer choices.

• WinningHereWinningHere Member
    417 karma

The logical opposite of must be true is could be false. Maybe as you go through the answer choices or your process you say to yourself, "could this be false".

• edited July 2021 571 karma

The way JY teaches this is to first understand what the logical opposite of must be true is, which is NOT must be true. So, the correct answer choice could be false. Once you understand that, just eliminate everything that must be true and you will be left with something that could be false. Thus, the correct answer.

For something that says, “____ not at 4” just test if it can be in position 4. If it can, well then that can obviously be false.

• Maxwell-1Maxwell-1 Member
    21 karma

@DontPay4LawSchool @WinningHere @Tennysoj THANK YOU SO MUCH! Together the explanations made it click!!