Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

logic games!!!???

Aiesha G.Aiesha G. Alum Member
edited June 2015 in General 199 karma
So I have now begun studying logic games using the LSAT trainer and omg I am soooo lost. =( I am not a visual learner at all and it is very hard for me to "read" pictures. I often have trouble deciphering how to notate rules and the fact that I even have to draw a picture to solve the problem set overwhelms me. Even more alarming is the use of circles, squares, and triangles that I have encountered with the trainer! The mere visual of the shapes combined with the in/ out chart, lines, and other symbols drive me crazy and I am left feeling dazed and defeated before I even tackle the questions. Anyone else encounter this problem and overcome it somehow? Would you recommend using J.Y.'s method for logic games instead?

Comments

• bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    edited June 2015 522 karma
    Trust me on this one, just use JY's method.

The Trainer is good for LR, and RC, but for the logic games just stick to JY's method, as its undoubtedly the best and clearest method.

Also I've heard stories of where people try other methods and then develop habits that they can't erase from their heads, so easiest way is to just start off with JY's methods!
  • Aiesha G.Aiesha G. Alum Member
    199 karma
    Ok thanks! I will just skip the LG section in the trainer and work on refining my LR and RC. Then hopefully by the time I get around to using the 7sage course I will only need help with LG. Since most experts agree that this is the section that students improve the fastest on, I'm hoping it won't put a dent in my studies if I skip it for now.
  • Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    578 karma
    If you're anything like me, you will start out hating logic games but by test day, you will wish all the sections were logic games. They're very learn-able, and they can even become fun once you understand what's going on. They are a welcome fun little break from the drudgery of parsing 50 arguments and 30 RC questions. I sincerely hope my experimental section on Monday is Analytical Reasoning.

That being said, start with the "simple sequencing" games or the basic in-out grouping games. If you can't do those, you really have no business messing with the double-layered, multi-conditional, spatial, etc. games. Oh, and get a Youtube app for your phone that lets you play Youtube in the b/g and do other things on it.. do one or two games a day and then play JY over and over explaining them while you're at the gym or in the car, or whatever. It will add up.
    199 karma
    Lol thanks @ Dr.Yamata and good luck on Monday! =)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @"Aiesha G." said:
    Even more alarming is the use of circles, squares, and triangles that I have encountered with the trainer!
    Haha ... Well, I love using shapes. I think it's a matter of how your brain works. If they irk you, of course, use another method. 7sage is at least 99% shape-free, though circular and map games will require a bit of flexibility if you are allergic to shapery :)
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    456 karma
    It's really easy to feel overwhelmed by logic games when you first start focusing on them. As others have said start with the simple sequencing games and easier in/out games and then move on to the more difficult ones once these start to become relatively easy.
    7sage Logic Games lessons > any other LSAT Prep company in my opinion. It's easier said then done but just try not to get too stressed out/frustrated in the beginning. Just focus on the studying process and trying to get a little better everyday. If you can do that and stack good study days on top of good study days everything will start to fall in place for you.
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    I agree with whats been said, 7Sage is "THE" place to learn logic games. Not necessarily the methods but the videos and explanations are what push it over the top.

I do LG a bit differently, I'm not sure how I did on the actual test this past week but during the PT's I normally would get a few wrong if any. Two things I want to point out is, don't get stuck on the semantics of diagramming. Definitely diagram but do it so that you know what you're doing. Pick a way to diagram something and do it over and over and over so that you know what your diagrams mean without having to think about it.

Second, do 7Sage's fool proof method at first..however, make sure you don't get reliant on it. As mentioned in the June LSAT threads there was a game that was weird..the same as in a bunch of newer tests..just weird games that you're not prepared for. You don't get to go back and do the fool proof method on your actual test. Yes, figure out and memorize inferences where you can but don't rely only on what you've memorized. I think being able to stay calm and know how to make your own inferences and diagram your own way will help you if you end up with a crazy game.
    199 karma
    Thank u everyone! I really appreciate it. I am already getting better at LG! I just fold under pressure when timing myself and do DUMB things that are obviously incorrect. I suppose that I should probably refrain from timing myself until I get a very good foundation of LG anyway. And @nicole.hopkins the shapes are starting to work for me! It was weird and hard to implement at first but they make a lot of sense.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @"Aiesha G." said:
    And @nicole.hopkins the shapes are starting to work for me! It was weird and hard to implement at first but they make a lot of sense.
    Yes they were SUPER funky for me at first but now I love them and swear by them. I'm so excited to show folks my boards on the BR calls whenever I get to use the shapes because there is some skepticism and/or unfamiliarity. But oooooh anytime I get a game where there's one element (unnamed) that goes in a certain pattern of spaces ... I think to myself "TRIANGLE TIME" and it's all sunshine and little birdies from that point forward.