Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It’s complicated

I am a non-traditional applicant in more ways than one. I graduated from undergrad 20 years ago (2.52 gpa) and got into a law school with a 154 score. Unfortunately, I lost a family member during my L1 year and just had no clue how to manage. I passed my classes but at the end of that year I didn’t make the attrition cutoff and was academically disqualified. Given the state I was already in, I took this failure pretty hard and thought that was the end of my dream.

I eventually returned to grad school and just this year completed my Masters with a 3.77 and want nothing more than to go to law school, but I have so many questions! Am I even permitted to apply? Or do I need to have the law school I attended agree to remove themselves from my LSAC records. Who should I be going to for help with my application? I find it really hard to believe that law schools would punish someone 20 years later for not being able to cope with L1 and bereavement, but I don’t know.

If anyone has any information on where I can get help and answers, I’d really appreciate it. If 7Sage admissions counseling is able to help with this, I’d gladly sign up. #help #admissionscounseling

Thanks

Comments

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    551 karma

Hi @OneMoreTime!

Cool to hear you're coming back to law school and the LSAT. You should check out LSAC's law school admission requirements page, but the last time I heard, there was no age restriction for the LSAT if that's what you're thinking about.

I would recommend to listening to the 7Sage podcast for some helpful information. I'll link one episode here that might be relevant to you as a non-traditional and older student. The podcast episode features a similar student who is in his 40s, post-military career, and applying to law school.

• OneMoreTimeOneMoreTime Member
    23 karma

Thanks, I’ll definitely check it out. And you are correct; there is no age restriction for the LSAT or for admission to law school. I’m more concerned about my prior admission and unsuccessful first year preventing me from reapplying now.

• pappasm91pappasm91 Member
    230 karma

@OneMoreTime I'm embarrassed to admit this, but based on watching an early season of Real Housewives of New Jersey, I think what needs to happen is that the law school needs to write a letter on your behalf attesting to your skills/capabilities because of this extenuating circumstance. In the Real Housewives issue, it was very similar but he had a diagnosed disability but didn't document that with the school and he failed out for that reason. The school wrote a letter that he then used to apply to other schools, but it's still up to the new schools to determine if you would be a good fit. However, based on your Masters GPA, I think you have a solid chance! I would also consider retaking the LSAT to get a higher score. Good luck!

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    edited August 2021 500 karma

Hey, I’m sorry to hear about this dilemma. I would think that having spent so much time out of law school and demonstrating your academic competency elsewhere will benefit your reapplication, especially since you can point to clear external factor for your struggles and it’s been so long since you first were admitted.

I found this article that might be helpful, but I would check the schools you’re thinking applying to to see what requirements they have. Maybe contact their admissions department directly and speak to them about your concerns.

https://lawschooltoolbox.com/how-do-i-get-re-admitted-to-law-school-after-an-academic-dismissal/

23 karma

@pappasm91 I know exactly which episode you’re referring to 😭 I think thinking back to my dismissal gives me anxiety so I haven’t reached out to the school yet to see what they would be willing to do, but that is my next step. As for the LSAT, scores only last up to 5 years so I have no choice but to take it! I find it surprising that so many schools now accept the GRE instead of the LSAT but my math sucks so LSAT it is!

23 karma

@McBeck418 thanks for the article; it was helpful. I think you’re right about having to take the leap and contacting admissions. I hope they will be open to it.