Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timing feels like the deal breaker

ajspianoajspiano Core Member
in General 153 karma

I'm convinced at this point that I'm just not smart enough to do really well on this test. I can never, ever get a 4-5 star question right in the target time. It ALWAYS takes me an extra 30-40 seconds, which is just a deal breaker come test day. Is there anyone here who used to have timing issues and then overcame them? This just feels like it speaks more to my innate abilities at this point.

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Timing required its own specific work and strategies. You have to practice it. Here's a good starting point.

https://7sage.com/why-you-have-to-skip-questions-on-the-lsat/

https://7sage.com/webinar/skip-it/

• a-aroraa-arora Member
    9 karma

I think your being a little hard on yourself. If some questions take longer, some questions may not take as long and as long as it balances you're fine. These targets are just that, not some hard rule. For instance some games I can finish them in a quarter of the time allotted, but for others I take more time than recommended. To improve though, you just need to keep practicing and the patterns/ answers will come to you. Figuring out the general direction of the answer before you even read the question stem will eventually come to you too.

• LegallyLSATLegallyLSAT Live Member
    edited August 2021 164 karma

Hey, do NOT sell yourself short. We are all struggling (in different aspects of the test) and that's why we are taking this prep course.

Timing is affecting me too, BUT when you're learning the skills, slowing down is important. Time will come along. I also think doing the practice sets vs an actual test might prove to be different, so I am thinking positively about my timing for now.

Each question on the test is worth the same, so always answer the easy and medium difficulty questions first. Hard questions, save for last. A hard question would be defined as anything where you catch yourself re-reading the stimulus many times or trying to decipher it.

I've been studying for the LSAT for a bit now and used to use 7sage when they had YT videos to explain questions for free. I finally caved and purchased the prep course and I'm seeing positive results. All I can say is be positive, drill and drill some more. I'm starting to like this course much better than Power Score tbh. PS was helpful as a starting point, but JY teaches so many necessary skills that I cannot believe I didn't learn before.

If you ever need help or motivation, just reach out.