Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letter of Recommendation Ethics Question

WishingOnAStarWishingOnAStar Alum Member
edited August 2021 in Law School Admissions 83 karma

Hello,

My recommender asked me to review the letter or recommendation they wrote for me for fact-checking purposes before they submit it to LSAC. I waived my right to review it on LSAC. In my view (LR reasoning here) waiving the right to review it does not mean that it is unethical / against LSAC policy to review the letter if the recommender requested it. I can't find anything on the LSAC website that suggests this either.

But I wanted a gut check here. Thoughts? Should I tell the recommender to just submit without my reviewing? Or is it fine for me to review it prior to the recommender submitting it?

Thanks, all!

Comments

• JmockabeeJmockabee Core Member
    16 karma

I have no expertise or authority however I believe much of the reasoning behind the "right to review waiver" is so that colleges can get an honest LOR in which the author does not have to worry about saying something unflattering (because you'll never see). However, if the author of the LOR is asking for you to take a look and check for factual errors, then it is a safe assumption he/she has not written anything negative and/or is not going to change anything negative out of it if they did. I think it is therefore morally permissible haha and my gut says it should be fine. I think another reason that waiver is there is to ensure applicants aren't just writing their own LOR's and assigning names to them. I hope this was helpful :)

• WishingOnAStarWishingOnAStar Alum Member
    83 karma

Thanks, Jmockabee! I agree with your logic here. This is helpful.

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

From what I have heard from admissions consultants, you are absolutely right. If the recommender offers for you to read the letter, then it is totally fine. By waiving your right to review, it's just making it so you can't request to see the letter or view it on LSAC, but if they offer than there's no issue.

83 karma

Thank you, andrew.rsn! Helpful context.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Speaking as a former admissions officer, it is fine for you to review a LOR if the recommender shares it with you.

83 karma

Thanks @"Selene Steelman" ! Good to hear that from you in particular. Ha!