Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any help for Sufficient Assumption?

HizekielHizekiel Live Member

For the SA and PSA questions, I'm getting absolutely destroyed on the tougher ones. I think it is because I am not identifying the stimulus fast enough and missing the small details that get overlooked. Should I just map it out and understand how to piece together the stimulus first and take my time to decipher it and then answer the question, or should I be just mapping it out in my head and getting better with doing it that way? Anyone got any good strategies they can share? Thank you so much.

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

I would write it out. Practice untimed questions and stick with them till you figure them out (think BR style). Once you start to see what you're looking for, it'll get easier to do under normal, timed conditions without having to write it out. You may also choose, on your PTs, to skip SA and PSA questions and come back to them at the end so you don't get bogged down on them in the middle of the section. I sometimes do this with parallel questions as I know they can be more time consuming.

Do you read the stim or question stem first? I started with stimulus first, and I will say it has been a big help reading the question first as it primes my brain what to look for when I read the stimulus. Just something to consider. I know people have strong opinions on it both ways, but it was something I found worked for me.

Good luck!

• HizekielHizekiel Live Member
    49 karma

@sarakimmel said:
    I would write it out. Practice untimed questions and stick with them till you figure them out (think BR style). Once you start to see what you're looking for, it'll get easier to do under normal, timed conditions without having to write it out. You may also choose, on your PTs, to skip SA and PSA questions and come back to them at the end so you don't get bogged down on them in the middle of the section. I sometimes do this with parallel questions as I know they can be more time consuming.

Do you read the stim or question stem first? I started with stimulus first, and I will say it has been a big help reading the question first as it primes my brain what to look for when I read the stimulus. Just something to consider. I know people have strong opinions on it both ways, but it was something I found worked for me.

Good luck!

Thank you. I am currently am reading question stem first and then stimulus so I agree it does work in making me understand what I am looking for. I guess practice with the BR method will help me the most here, really appreciate it.

• lsat2021-2lsat2021-2 Alum Member
    275 karma

I totally understand the frustrating feeling! A helpful thing for me is to remember that most SAs or PSAs are a linking exercise. Like when you really dumb these questions down - the only thing they are trying to accomplish is getting from A --> B - not outside or it or too narrow. I try to remember this. The answers are in the exact scope of the question and match the language of the stimulus. Also, ANTICIPATE! when you do these, highlight the conclusion and ask yourself, "what support does this conclusion have?" there's going to be a gap. Let me know if you ever want to work on one or look at a particular problem too because these used to give me trouble. Hope this helps. Treat like a linking exercise and anticipate the answer choice. Don't bulldoze to answer choices.

• ledkarlyledkarly Member
    483 karma

remember they must be powerful! look out for words like always, must, only if, and things like that! if an answer choice is only probable, it is most likely not the answer!