Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please help. Should I put this on my diversity statement

ice_blueice_blue Free Trial Member
edited September 2021 in Law School Admissions 4 karma

Hello all,

I am extremely frustrated with the education system. So, I am dyslexic (something that never goes away) and I wanted to apply for accommodation or modifications. I got all my paperwork together from public school records, when I got tested, the results, etc. LSAT said that I needed more and had to get retested in the lsat 5 years to see if “I was still dyslexic” Well… the test is $1,300+ and I can’t afford that.

I wanted to get your opinion. On my diversity statement I am explaining my dyslexia journey a bit. I wanted to add a short sentence pretty much saying, “Unfortunately, due to financial reasons I was not able to retest for dyslexia and got denied Accommodations for the LSAT” Because if I only say I am dyslexic, they’ll assume I did get Accommodations. Since,LSAC doesn’t release this info to law schools due to privacy for students with learning disabilities.

Should I put this on diversity statement
  1. Should I put this on there13 votes
    1. yes
      46.15%
    2. no
      53.85%

Comments

• bananabobananabo Core Member
    edited September 2021 1211 karma

“Unfortunately, due to financial reasons I was not able to retest for dyslexia and got denied Accommodations for the LSAT”

I think you can explain this in an LSAT addendum rather than a diversity statement. For a diversity statement, the focus should be more about how your circumstances helped shaped you and I think talking about not being able to get accommodations for the LSAT may distract from that.

• CashhhyyyCashhhyyy Core Member
    edited September 2021 583 karma

I agree with banana