Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Breaking the Low 160's Plateau

mnnazir919mnnazir919 Core Member
in General 29 karma

I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to overcome the low 160's plateau. I have been consistently scoring 160-163 on my past tests. I am on a schedule of taking 2 preptests a week and have not been seeing improvement. I began focusing on taking problem sets on the specific areas of LR that I was having issues with (Flaw, Weakening) and though I do see myself getting less of those questions wrong, now I am getting an entirely new set of questions wrong (MCC, Strengthening)

Usually my LR and RC will average 4-6 wrong on each test and my LG is around 3-5. I purchased loophole and am in the process of going through it but I am feeling a bit hopeless as I am aiming to take the April test with a goal score of 167-169. I am thinking of completely stopping preptesting and focusing on my foundational skills, but I just don't know the best way to go about this.

Comments

• onyourmarkonyourmark Member
    45 karma

facing exactly the same situation :( also looking for advice!

• magdiel_kobemagdiel_kobe Alum Member
    91 karma

I think perfecting LG would help you increase your score. I am aiming for a -0 on logic games as I am on -5 but am aiming for a 170

• fullstopfullstop Member
    169 karma

I have the same issue - managed to up my score into the low 160s from high 150s but stuck there since. What would you say are your big weaknesses?

• mnnazir919mnnazir919 Core Member
    29 karma

@LSATIndia said:
    I have the same issue - managed to up my score into the low 160s from high 150s but stuck there since. What would you say are your big weaknesses?

Definitely LR. I feel super confident at RC, but my RC score doesn't really reflect that. I will usually understand why I got a question wrong, but I don't know if that is translating to the other preptests :(

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

I think you are on the right track with backing off the PTs and focusing on problem sets. I would take at most one PT per week and spend the majority of time really digging into the meat of LR and RC. I would try untimed sections (if you use only the 2nd LR section from any given PT you won't waste that PT as the simulated Flex only uses the first LR section, and you can redo RC passages from PTs you've already taken), and try writing out your explanation for each answer. You should be approaching this like you would BR, be sure that you are not only 100% sure why your AC is correct, but also be 100% sure why the wrong answer choices are wrong. Flag any that you can't reconcile on your own, but still try to narrow it down as best as you can. If you have a study buddy/imaginary friend/cat/fish you can explain it to out loud, even better. Crystalize your understanding first, then worry about time. Just my $.02.

• WickedLostWickedLost Member
    481 karma

Focusing daily on LGs and the LR questions where you have your biggest weaknesses might help. That's been my approach (focusing my LR practice on my biggest weakness; untimed, writing out my explanation for each AC). After doing that for a while, I had my best LG score so far and my biggest LR weakness changed from Flaw to PSA according to my analytics (which is a good sign, means the focus on Flaw questions paid off). So now I'll be tackling PSA next.

• love2learnlove2learn Free Trial Member
    edited March 2021 252 karma

I don't know if this could help you. I'm in a similar preptest situation as you - with a range from 160-166, with LR at about 7 missed, 0-1 for games, and RC for the rest. I picked up a copy of the LSAT Trainer in February and in the last two weeks I've focused on drilling argument analysis and then the NA/FLAW/STRENGTHEN/WEAKEN question types. I started with untimed question-specific drills, but now I'm working timed full sections.

For each subjective argument question find: 1) the conclusion, then ask ('why'/because) 2) find the support, then 3) find the flaw! Identify the TYPE of flaw and really understand what that stimulus is specifically doing to engage in that flaw type. This has helped me to better understand the stimulus for all of these question types and this is where I'm seeing improvement. I've also noticed certain flaw types that trip me up more than ones I consistently get right. So I tried to really understand that 'trip up' flaw in practice/specific situation, so that I better understand it and then see it in practice.

As I've started taking the LR sections of preptests (40s 50s) on lawhub timed, I'm only missing 1-2 total!!! and almost exclusively the MSS or parallel. I'm going to keep doing this for the next 2 weeks and then take a full preptest / go back to RC and games (and the inference question types).

Good luck and hopefully you find an approach that clicks to see improvement long before April!

• 3 karma

I am new to studying but, I was told in a situation like that take a break- like a couple days off or a week let bur mind mend the constant info. You've burnt out, is all, you got this!!

• Hafsa KhanHafsa Khan Member
    37 karma

I'm stuck in the 162-163 plateau at the moment. Did the above tips work for anyone who commented 10+ months ago? I've been doing drills on questions I'm weak at and revisiting sections of the CC as needed. I also picked up my Loophole and LSAT Trainer books again, but nothing seems to be helping with LR. I'm currently stuck at -5/-6

• annieslsatannieslsat Member
    edited January 2022 5 karma

I'm also in the same boat. I'm writing this weekend, and yesterday I scored 161. -7 in LR and -9 in RC and -2 in LG. I'm trying to focus on LR and RC now. I've read loophole and trainer but nothing has seemed to dramatically improve my LR

• AryanSingh-1AryanSingh-1 Member
    edited January 2022 342 karma

I was struggling with LR, with loophole paraphrasing and performing what if test. I went form -7 to -8 to -3 to -4. try it. Paraphrase every stimulus also use right side of brain, picture it (that is from the book using right side of the brain). It helps to improve recall.) Might take a week to get hang of it, but -8 to -3,-4 in a week was well worth it.

• Scott MilamScott Milam Member Administrator Moderator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1336 karma

@"Hafsa Khan"

The big question you need to identify is why you are in a plateau! The single most important question to diagnose your progress is:

What is your BR score?
    The beauty of BR is that it is a great tool for diagnosing your errors! If your BR score is significantly higher than your actual score, the problem is most likely timing/implementation rather than core skills.

If your BR score is close to your actual score, chances are you need to improve your understanding of the core material before you'll be able to significantly advance.

In short:
    High BR Score Drill timing to close the gap! Identify where you are losing time!
    Low BR Score Pick your weakest area and study!

If you'd like more specific help, just ask!

• matt.hip595matt.hip595 Core Member
    62 karma

I understand you frustration. I am aiming for the high 150s and currently and consistently keep getting -12 wrong for the reading comprehension and keep reading the passage over and not remembering any of it. I literally look at my paper where notes should be and its just a few circles drawn over and maybe me practicing my cursive writing.