Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study buddy question

cpachec4cpachec4 Member
in Study Groups 17 karma

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting here and hope someone can give me some study buddy advice.

I took the LSAT Jan of 2021 and got a 140. This was after a 7 week kaplan course. After that, I didn’t take my studying seriously until November 2021. I purchased 7sage in November and have learned more than I did with Kaplan. I still haven’t taken a full exam because I’m barely at the point in LR where I understand the question stem, and I understand the stimulus. I still struggle with hard questions but at least I know what I’m reading and understand the question stem. However, I still haven’t gotten to LG or RC. Right now I’m consistently getting 15 correct and my goal is 20. Should I move to those sections after I consistently score 20 correct in LR?

When it comes to a study group or a study buddy what’s the best suggestion? Should I contact someone that also scored around 140 or slightly higher? I don’t know if someone with a higher score would want to help me when they have their own concerns.

Lastly, I had a terrible burn out so now I only study about 3-4 days a week 2 hours a day. I’ve balanced my life out with my full time job, the gym and seeing my friends. My prior study schedule had me isolated, and stressed out. Yes I’m studying less, and it may take me longer, but I have less stress and enjoying my life again.

Any suggestions help. Thank you!!!

Comments

• josh.r8964josh.r8964 Member
    66 karma

Hey! Burnout is totally fine. I studied for August taking 1 full test a day for basically most of the summer. I'm pretty confident that if I slowed things down things might have gone more my way. At the end of the day the test only works if you're in the right headspace. Taking care of yourself is a huge part of doing well. As for the other stuff. LR and LG have a lot of overlapping skills, as well as with RC. I would go over the basics of conditional logic, which you need for LR, and then try some easy games to practice them. Do some of the drills on 7sage to make sure you know sufficient and necessary conditions, as well as the words that indicate them. Some might say to just start taking prep tests and the skills will develop. Personally, I think you could benefit from taking some time to build a good foundation in a non test-taking environment. When you feel like you can explain how "lawgic" works to others, take a crack at a full test. RC is a tough one to move the needle on, but I think it is also the most accessible to practice. I started reading assignments for school, work, and the news like I would an RC passage. Ask yourself to find the main point and different perspectives in whatever you are reading and you'll start to build those skills. As for a study buddy, people want different things. Maybe you could use someone who is scoring higher. Maybe there is someone who needs help in areas you are good at. I personally score on the higher end but feel like I only understand things when I can explain them to others, so it does happen. Reach out if you want any advice!

• cpachec4cpachec4 Member
    17 karma

I appreciate the advice! I feel the growth on my foundation when it comes to LR. Last week I got excited and took a section test and scored 15/24 which is what I was scoring when I didn't know what I was doing. I felt discouraged because now that I understand the stimulus/question and what I'm supposed to do I expected to score higher. Before I didn't know what I was looking for yet accidentally consistently scoring 14-15 correct. I noticed that even though I know what im doing, there are still hard questions that I don't know the answers to. my friend who recently passed the bar said I'll never fully be prepared for the LSAT. is it realistic to continue to practice until I'm consistently scoring 20 correct? what moves the ticker in LR, being able to identify what I'm looking for quicker?