Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I retake?

0hbergine0hbergine Member
edited September 2022 in General 60 karma

I received a 172 on the August test, which was my first attempt. I have a 3.95 uGPA and am not URM. I have a graduate degree and am in the process of getting another. I also have some relevant legal work experience. My PR was a 177 (with a 180 BR). I think I could do better than 172 if I took it again, but ideally, I would like to stop studying.

I'm hoping to go to HYS or Chicago, or to get substantial merit aid from another T14. Do you think it's worth retaking? Or are my chances decent as is?

Thanks!

Retake?
  1. Retake?9 votes
    1. Yes
      22.22%
    2. No
      77.78%

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2245 karma

If your PT average over your past few tests is above a 172 by at least a point or two, I think retaking is reasonable. I know your PR is a 177, but if that was an outlier you may want to practice a bit more before testing again. If you'd like to get into HYS with the way medians have been over the past couple of years, I'd be uneasy with anything less than a 174. If you're looking for substantial scholarships from other T14s, I'd also want at least a point or two higher. Don't get me wrong, I think it's totally possible you could get into HYS or get substantial merit aid from a T14 with your current stats. Your stats are already great! I just don't know that it would be that likely with how high GPA and LSAT medians have been recently. With this being said, however, I'm not an admissions consultant, so definitely don't take my thoughts as gospel.

• Even if you don't study at all, it's very possible you might do higher just with a second attempt. I didn't study at all between my first and second attempts (was dealing w health problems) and my score increased by 6 points. I think just having the experience of actually taking the real test under your belt helps with nerves a lot.