Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling discouraged about LSAT score

ticutter3ticutter3 Member
in General 15 karma

I took the LSAT in September for the first time and am beyond disappointed in my score. I find reading the forums about wild score increases to be motivating, but then I realize so many people have been studying for a year or more. Frankly, I do not have the money or time to do that. I managed to study from March-June very sporadically since spring semester was in full spring and I work full time. I was able to study regularly from June-August but that was still difficult with my work schedule and classes starting again. I am now amping my studying back up to prepare for the November LSAT, but I feel incredibly doubtful that more score will increase significantly if at all. I am meeting with my mentor to create a new study plan but would like input on here, as well. If I don't do well in November, what should my next step be? I wanted to apply to schools by October 30th but now my timeline is muddled and I'm not sure what to do. Thanks in advance; I appreciate any constructive feedback.

Comments

• LSATstudier22LSATstudier22 Member
    91 karma

Hi! Don't let your belief in yourself and your abilities waver! That could be your downfall if you let it! I'm sure your mentor will have the best advice for you, but here are my thoughts.

It all comes down to how close your current LSAT score is to your target score and whether or not your PTs indicate you can score much higher on the exam (if your PTs are higher, keep drilling and November could be your chance to achieve your best score, if your PTs are lower, not to worry, you still have SIX weeks to get there).

A few questions to ask yourself:
    - are you comfortable with applying with the score you currently have or might achieve in November, even if it is lower than you wanted? Is it competitive enough to warrant the time spent writing your applications?
    - will your GPA or personal statement help boost your application?
    - if you do not have the time or the money to study and re-apply next cycle, do you have an alternative plan for your future? If you know law school is meant for you, you can always revisit the prospect down the road and play the long game of saving and studying.

Even a little bit of studying every day makes a difference, so keep going for November! I believe in you!
    Good luck:)

• I would say:

-> Take more recent PTs to see the score range.

If you hit the target score range or can open up 8+ hours a day just for studying LSAT, you can try taking the test again in November.

If you cannot hit the target score (e.g. 165+ or 170+) and don't have 8+ hours per day to study for LSAT to improve your scores to the target score range,

(1) consider not to apply to LS, OR (2) apply to LS, but open your target school list to the T25s or T30s, whatever looks feasible.

For (1), consider applying to a graduate school other than LS OR go to work full time if you received any offers. This is not a bad option especially if you are not sure whether you can survive in LS. You can come back to take the test and consider going to LS at a later time when you are more prepared for it.

For (2), after enrollment, if you still want to climb the ladder, thinking about transfer by the end of the 1L. But it will be challenge.

• coldbrewithoatcoldbrewithoat Core Member
    111 karma

@LifeSciencesAdvisoryCommittee said:
    I would say:

-> Take more recent PTs to see the score range.

If you hit the target score range or can open up 8+ hours a day just for studying LSAT, you can try taking the test again in November.

If you cannot hit the target score (e.g. 165+ or 170+) and don't have 8+ hours per day to study for LSAT to improve your scores to the target score range,

(1) consider not to apply to LS, OR (2) apply to LS, but open your target school list to the T25s or T30s, whatever looks feasible.

For (1), consider applying to a graduate school other than LS OR go to work full time if you received any offers. This is not a bad option especially if you are not sure whether you can survive in LS. You can come back to take the test and consider going to LS at a later time when you are more prepared for it.

For (2), after enrollment, if you still want to climb the ladder, thinking about transfer by the end of the 1L. But it will be challenge.

Respectfully, I disagree with your 8+ hours criteria. OP has to juggle work/school, and studying 40 hours minimum a week will inevitably lead to sleep deprivation or burnout. I think that OP should assess whether they can prioritize consistent and high-quality study sessions and take it from there. I personally found a sweet spot at 4.5 hours/day, it varies for everyone!

• respano1234respano1234 Member
    edited September 2022 9 karma

As a word of encouragement, I studied pretty sporadically for a period of three months, as I was traveling (visiting family abroad for a month) and applying for jobs at the same time. In fact, the week before the LSAT, I was starting a new job (so did 40+ hours of onboarding videos/trainings and doing ptests/sections after work) and caught a really, really bad fever. I also took the test in Sept. and got a score that exceeded my wildest expectations.

So, I know it's a weird thing to say, but for some people and in some scenarios, getting a bit of distance to take some of the pressure off, doing less hard core practice and more core competency/content review, and being strategic about time spent rather than cramming in hours can be really helpful. It was in my case, and I do hope it can be in yours.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about this more! Happy to be a source of encouragement if possible.