Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letters of Recommendations updates

G.S12345G.S12345 Alum Member

Hello,

I have letters of recommendations that are about a year to a few months old. I was hoping to apply earlier but got delayed. If I request my recommenders to update the letters, how exactly does that work? Do I have to send them a new letter request again and they resubmit the letter with an updated date, or can they simply update the already present letter on LSAC?

Please help!!!

Comments

• Steven_B-1Steven_B-1 Member
    794 karma

Following.

• DescartesDescartes Alum Member
    98 karma

Following

• G.S12345G.S12345 Alum Member
    115 karma

It would be really helpful if anyone has any information regarding this

• melvyangmelvyang Member
    39 karma

I googled some possible answers and came upon a reddit thread from a year ago. There were two options:

1: "Simply add the recommenders again on LSAC and they'll show up as new recommenders, and ask them submit the updated letter there. Once you do that, you can assign the recommenders' new letters to the school. Just make sure you don't get the old one and new one confused!"

2: "They can also login into their recommender portal and submit it for you where they did the last one. They have to indicate that they are replacing the old one and why."

It's honestly very hard to determine which option works best since we do not have any samples of what the recommender sees from their account...

Hopefully this helps a bit. If not, hopefully someone else can provide more definite answer.

115 karma

Thank you so much. This at least gives me something to tell my recommenders.

115 karma

Ok. I was just on a call with LSAC and they informed me that the only way to do this is to re-request your recommenders to submit updated letters. There is no way for them see the old letters or make any changes to them because when we send the request to the recommenders it comes with a one time code. So the first option basically.