Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to maximize this course

in General 33 karma

Hello LSAT rockstars!!

I started studying for the LSAT a week ago and am taking the April LSAT (I know, fast paced schedule). On my diagnostic I got a 158, but I am looking to climb to about a 172. Obviously with the time crunch, I want to use the course in the best way possible so I was wondering if I should follow the syllabus chronologically or if I should be jumping around to the sections I am weakest at (which for me is LR followed by RC). I would just hate to let a month of prep go by without using the course most effectively. Also any additional tips for someone just starting out would be wonderful, thanks!

Comments

• sh.francissh.francis Core Member
    edited January 2023 246 karma

I don’t think there’s a consensus on how best to tackle the curriculum, even among tutors.

Chronological is a safe bet. LR is good to start (it takes a while for some of the concepts to marinate) and RC best done after finishing LR.

You’ll also need the basic conditional logic lessons in LR to be able to do LG as the curriculum builds on it.

The only change you might consider is that once you’ve finished conditional logic lessons in LR you could consider jumping ahead and weaving in some LG lessons to mix it up a bit. This helps you from burning out on Lr and also gives you more time to absorb LG… especially given your tight timeline. Both Lg and Lr benefit from spaced repetition and some time away.

• The2ndSageThe2ndSage Member
    64 karma

Also recommend really paying attention to trap wrong AC's as you go through the curriculum (try to find the patterns in the test from LSAT writers). This could save you a lot of time as I ended up essentially going back through the curriculum to do this for every question type post-CC because I tried to get through the CC as fast as possible first time through.

• 33 karma

Thank you!! @The2ndSage When you were going through them, did you just make note of them for every kind of question? Or specifically the ones you were falling for? Can you give me an example?

• The2ndSageThe2ndSage Member
    64 karma

Exactly, did it for every question type. It was actually @MTreigys who said this method worked best for him, so I'm just stealing it. Short answer to your question: yes, every question type, with a special focus on the questions I got wrong.

Long answer:
    The way I did this was I did 3 drills for each question type from the CC. The first drill consisted of 10 questions (3x level 5 difficulty question, 3x level 4 questions, 3x level 3 questions, and 1x level 2 or 1 question) and was strictly from the CC PTs (1-36). After doing this drill and BRing it, I then would look at the questions I got wrong and understand why I got it wrong and how the LSAT got me to pick the wrong AC. Then, for all the questions, would write in the wrong answer journal why the correct answer was right and why the others were wrong. This was especially helpful for the tough questions (even if you get it correct because a lot of people chose another AC for a reason so try to understand why they did and how the LSAT was trying to get you to pick that wrong AC). My notes about the questions mostly consisted of "trap AC's might ____" and that could be they "might pull words verbatim from the stimulus to trick you." Some questions have particular traps, but for the most part a lot of the traps the LSAT uses repeat themselves across question types. But also some notes about how the test tries to hide correct AC's is helpful as well. Like for parallel flaw, I wrote "correct answers might switch up the order of the flaw compared to the stimulus, but still have the same flaw." After doing the first drill of 10 questions, I would then do 5 questions from PTs 36-58 (2x level 5 difficulty, 2x level 4 difficulty, and 1x level 3 difficulty). Then would go through and do all the notes like with drill 1. Then, for the last drill, I would do 5 questions from PTs 59-93 (2x level 5 difficulty, 2x level 4 difficulty, and 1x level 3 difficulty). Then, do all the notes.

For the drills, I picked a PT from each series (i.e PT 71 from the 70s, 44 from the 40s) to use solely for drilling. This will also be helpful when drilling LG and RC because you will have certain tests to use for drilling and then purely fresh tests for your PT's.

I also recommend reaching out to @Constantine about reverse engineering LR Q types because he is a genius with LR.

Hopefully this all makes sense and saves you time! Please tell me if some of this does not make sense.