Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to take practice tests?

aminata3aminata3 Core Member
in General 13 karma

Hello -- I just started using 7sage and am making my way through the curriculum, but I am unsure about what point in my studies I should start taking practice tests? Are most folks waiting until they have completed the entire curriculum to start focusing on PTs? I don't have plans to take the LSAT for at least another five months, so wondering what strategies others have had success with when it came to utilizing 7sage most effectively.

Thanks!

Comments

• pnwrunnerpnwrunner Alum Member
    100 karma

My strategy was to take the Core Curriculum (CC) in full and then begin PTing. By doing this, I ensure that I have a basic knowledge or at least an awareness of what is being asked of me during the LSAT. After the PTs, I can look at the analytics and then go back to that section in the CC to refine my understanding. Because I've been exposed to each section previously by going through the CC in full, I've noticed that it makes me approach to reviewing more efficient and less daunting than being exposed to something I have no idea about.

• aminata3aminata3 Core Member
    13 karma

This is really useful. Thank you so much!

• The2ndSageThe2ndSage Member
    64 karma

Second what pnwrunner says about waiting to take PTs until completing the CC. Will also recommend that when you get to the PTs you take it slow and really review each PT in depth. Don't try to burn through one a day to get them done. The improvements are made in the reviews.

• Alex JacobsAlex Jacobs Yearly + Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    18 karma

Hello!

7Sage tutor here! I echo everything that pnwrunner said in their post. Given your timeframe, I would complete the core curriculum before touching any PT's.

In general, I think people over-rely on PT's at the expense of more targeted drills. Once you do start taking PT's I would recommend 1 per week (2 at a maximum). PT's are how we measure progress, but they are not where the real growth occurs. As The2ndSage mentioned in their post, blind review is an essential part of the process and should not be rushed.

I would have the bulk of your workload (after completing the core curriculum) be dedicated to individual test sections or drills that address specific problems, center around high-priority question types or focus on timing issues. One PT a week will be a great measure of your progress and will give you analytics to base the rest of your prep around.

Hope that makes sense!