Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accommodations study techniques

klwalthourklwalthour Member
in General 6 karma

I very recently got approved for accommodations in the form of 150% time--53 minutes/section. I have taken the test one time without extended time, and I have been studying for my upcoming test since November 2022 without that in mind either. I am seeking advice on how to adjust my studying. I don't want to "relax" too much and get slow, but I don't want to rush myself either. I was wondering, also, if any forums/blogs address this adjustment. Thanks!

Comments

• aiman.shahabaiman.shahab Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited January 2023 72 karma

Hey @klwalthour! I'm glad you were approved for accommodations!

Taking timed drills/tests with accommodated time can be an adjustment for students. Like you mentioned, you don't want to get fixated too much on slowing down and lose focus. Students given extra time may struggle with the testing endurance for a longer exam. My biggest piece of advice would be to take the target time for each question, passage, and game and multiply it by 1.5 to get an accurate goal time.

For reference, that would be roughly two minutes for each Logical Reasoning question, thirteen minutes for a Logic Game, and thirteen minutes for a Reading Comprehension passage. Take a look at your analytics on 7Sage and adjust according to how you've been performing on timing. Once you have those timings in mind as a benchmark, keep an eye on the clock as you consistently work through timed practice.

If you're planning on taking the February exam, this still gives you almost three weeks to drill with your new benchmark timings in mind. I would pivot over to focus on solely timed practice and take three practice tests before then to get used to the long test length.

If you'd like more tips to studying with increased testing time or guidance in building a study plan before February, feel free to set up a consult with one of our tutors here: https://calendly.com/7sage-tutoring/7sage-tutoring-free-consultation?utm_source=FCA_A