Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this possible

eastringeastring Alum Member
edited August 2015 in General 109 karma
I mean can you actually deteriorate in your ability to take LSAT as you study more? I've recently started taking PTs in the 50s after finishing the ones in 30s/40s - only to realize that both my actual and BR scores are dropping each PT (from mid 160s to currently high 150s actual). I've taken about 17 PTs and this is really discouraging. I can't believe my BR score is dropping too below 170s now. Are PTs in the 50s harder than the previous ones? Or am I just losing my fundamentals as time progresses... Or this is just a burnout? It's really frustrating to see that I'm doing worse each time - I feel like maybe this test is not for me (I know some of you will hate me for saying this). :(

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Read @"Jonathan Wang" 's post on burnout. This to me sounds like a classic case of it.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 3658 karma
    @eastring I think the PT's are out to get you. Kidding! I second Nicole's advice. Read Jonathan Wang's (JW?) post. JY and JW! Am I the first to see this?!
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I agree, probably burn out :( currently suffering from it myself.
  • NikNYCNikNYC Member
    100 karma
    No worries i am on the same boat !!!
  • eastringeastring Alum Member
    109 karma
    @nicole.hopkins I read it the other day and I didn't think it would be me - my biggest fear was that this would not be a symptom of burnout and I would waste time not studying while taking a break. @ENTJ haha I didn't see that coming... @harrismegan @wc950 Are you guys also experiencing a drop in score? Are you going to take a break?
    7965 karma
    @eastring said:
    I would waste time not studying while taking a break.
    Hoooo boy! You might read that article one more time :) Time off during burnout (and in prevention of it!) is NOT wasted time. It is a very necessary part of the process. Take some Sage advice. You won't regret it, I promise.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    @eastring said:
    Are you guys also experiencing a drop in score? Are you going to take a break?
    Oh absolutely. I took a break (about a week and a half), I wrote on Monday and scored a 170. I burnt myself out the first week back, took an exam Saturday and scored less than my average.... a 161. It was terrible. I took @nicole.hopkins ' advise to throw it out, took a few days off, and scored a 165... which is within my average, but I still felt some burn out like symptoms.
    I'm taking a few days again and plan to write either Saturday or Sunday!
    7965 karma
    @harrismegan said:
    throw it out, took a few days off, and scored a 165... which is within my average, but I still felt some burn out like symptoms.
    I'm taking a few days again and plan to write either Saturday or Sunday!
    See there ya go! I know that "ok I took a break now it's all better ok let's gogogo" when really ... I was still crispy at the edges. So don't be afraid to take a luxuriously long break. And then ease back into it. Like ... for my last break ... on the day before I came back to PT I was like, watchin' some vids (which I had not been doing), casually chillin' with some games, doodling on some LR. Then POW. Retook (last time was in March) PT61 and scored my highest ever retake score, and a full 10 points higher than the last time I took that bad boy. Shizzam!

Most importantly ... I felt good. Chill. Not freakin' about missin' Q's. Over it. Happy to learn. Excited for it again.
  • eastringeastring Alum Member
    109 karma
    @nicole.hopkins @harrismegan Thanks guys! I'll make sure to take a break this weekend :)
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    I think people falsely assume that taking time off will cause them to forget their fundamentals and how to take the exam. Trust me, you will not forget how to map out a conditional argument or identify the conclusion.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Sorry I've been away for 24 hours... What's a conclusion?
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @Pacifico
    A conclusion in an LR stimulus.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Con-clu-sion? What sorcery is this?