Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Norms of Break Time

jac376jac376 Free Trial Member
in General 23 karma
What are the rules for what I can't do during the 15 min break?

- can I exit to use the bathroom?
- can I do some exercises in the hall (such as shadow boxing and pushups)?
- can I do some exercises in the test room (such as shadow boxing and pushups)?
- can I make noise (yet not enough noise to he heard in another room)
- can I leave the room to get some water?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    I think this page will answer your questions on how to best use the break: http://www.qsleap.com/articles/utilizing-the-15-minute-lsat-break/
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    shadow boxing is a great idea, thanks!!
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 2398 karma
    During the 15 minute break you likely will not be allowed to stay in the room, at least that was my experience. Everyone exited the testing room and waited just outside, so yea you should be able to do some exercises and make some noise within reason. This may depend on your testing center and whether or not others are still testing around you. At the end of the day, the test is a huge deal for everyone so just be courteous--don't do anything that you think would annoy you while you took the test, or that you think would annoy others.

And, yes to your bathroom and water questions.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    The last time I sat for the LSAT sit-ups were the only authorized exercise and they had to be completed behind your desk/table with the chair pushed in and nobody is allowed to hold your feet, but YMMV.
  • Mister-eeeeMister-eeee Alum Member
    20 karma
    Why do exercise during break? Is that supposed to help with keeping you awake or something?
  • jac376jac376 Free Trial Member
    23 karma
    Keeps the blood pumping, keeps me alert, keeps me focused. And I can tell you were being facetious Pacifico.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    Facetious: used to describe speech that is meant to be funny but that is usually regarded as annoying, silly, or not proper.
    ...taken from Google
    8021 karma
    @"Mister-eeee" said:
    Why do exercise during break? Is that supposed to help with keeping you awake or something?
    Sitting for prolonged periods of time promotes lactic acid buildup in the body. Studies have shown that higher levels of lactic acid in the body inhibit the performance of the frontal lobe, which is responsible for reasoning, therefore it is important to get up and move around to keep your lactic acid levels from getting too high. That's why standup desks are all the rage now.
  • __Juan____Juan__ Alum Member
    184 karma
    What research are you citing that supports your statement? I'm curious as to whether ~105 minutes of inactivity increases lactic acid significantly enough to affect your cognitive ability. Serious
    @Pacifico said:
    Studies have shown that higher levels of lactic acid in the body inhibit the performance of the frontal lobe
    Seems like some flaw type LSAT question. Not serious, but kinda does.
  • joannewujoannewu Member
    53 karma
    Thanks for bringing this up @jac376. I've been meaning to ask about test day as well. Apart from the 15 minute break (after section 3?) do we get any sort of bathroom breaks or water breaks throughout the test? Or am I basically going to have to hold it for ~3 hours..? lol
    8021 karma
    Each 3 section period is only ~105 minutes long plus admin time. If you can't hold it for two hours then that is what the diapers are for. TLS has some good breakdowns of styles to choose from.
  • joannewujoannewu Member
    53 karma
    Oh okay that's not too bad. I think I'll manage without the diapers haha