Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC remind me again...

shainabarbershainabarber Alum Member
in General 109 karma
I'm having trouble with RC. It used to be my strongest area, but I think I'm psyching myself out. During the Oct 3 there was one passage that I just couldn't understand, and kept starting over. It caused me to panic bc I knew time was ticking.

I am a working teacher, so I took my LSAT materials to a colleague who teaches English and, among other things, she insisted I really should read the questions before reading the passage, to increase understanding and to know what I'm looking for.

I told her that this is a discouraged strategy for the LSAT. I know I read that somewhere, but can't remember where. What do ya'll think? Read questions before passage, or no?

Comments

• brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2015 1489 karma
    You're correct, it's discouraged.

1. Time is precious, too precious to waste on reading questions then reading the passage and then, inevitably, reading the questions a second time.

2. You should walk into the test with a clear idea of what the questions will look like anyway. There are no surprises here, you know you'll be asked main point, author's opinion, structural questions, etc.

Hope this helps! Sounds like you're on the right track.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Hi @shainabarber! I'm a working teacher as well so PROPS TO YOU for studying while working -- it is not easy. I would argue most English teachers (which is my department) have no idea how different of the test the LSAT is -- it's nothing like they teach or have experienced in undergrad/in their credentialing program unless they once considered going to law school. Take their well-intentioned advice with a grain of salt. Like @brna0714 said, it's a time suck.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    @blah170blah - I didn't realize you were a teacher. What level? I teach middle school and it's been quite the adventure.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @brna0714 -- Yeah! I teach 11th grade English and OMG do my juniors leave me so tired (happy, but SO TIRED) after the day. It's exhausting!
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    No don't read the questions beforehand. I think LSAT RC is different than RC that is taught during our schooling as children.
    Read for structure/AO/other people's opinions/specific dates and information and use the questions to guide you back into the passage to find the information.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    There's no way you'll be able to remember 7 question stems while reading and trying to do so will ultimately hinder your overall ability to understand the passage. Reading questions before the passage is a big no-no.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @shainabarber said:
    she insisted I really should read the questions before reading the passage, to increase understanding and to know what I'm looking for.
    She is wrong. She is not giving you advice that is relevant to the LSAT.

• shainabarbershainabarber Alum Member
    109 karma
    Thanks ya'll. I think her advice is sound for an untimed test (or a test I wasn't worried about being able to finish). However, the LSAT doesn't give you any time to waste. What I would do for even 5 more minutes!!
  • 131 karma
    I really do believe that improving your raw reading ability plays a larger role than we would like to think in terms of improving our RC scores. Don't just start reading dense material, but read to memorize structure and the underlying interaction within the passages viewpoints/evidence/etc. JY's memory method is a great place to start. Make it a habit. Every day!
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    @brna0714 said:
    I teach middle school and it's been quite the adventure.
    I believe that is Dante’s third level in the Inferno.