Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mental Exhaustion and Loss of Focus Question

Moon10YGMoon10YG Member
in General 43 karma
I had some questions in regards to mental exhaustion and loss of focus.

During the test, I sometimes experience mind wandering off, especially during the difficult LR questions and Law and Science reading passages. The loss of focus forces me to read again and re-evaluate the argument, which has a detrimental snowball effect on my time management.

What are some of the methods that I can utilize to improve my concentration and reduce mental fatigue?

I have read some posts on 7Sage in regards to caffeine. So before taking a PT, I usually take 2-3 shots of espresso and eat some dark chocolate. I do some meditation as well. During the 15 minute break, I snack on almonds and walnuts (and other common brain foods).

I’ve also read that nicotine aids in memory retention and focus, so I may consider applying nicotine patches or start smoking, haha. (I wish I was joking…)

Most of my friends, who attend Law School now, tells me that my mental exhaustion during the test will get better as I get used to taking more full PTs.

In the case that I am not completely acclimated to the intensity of the test within couple of weeks, what are some methods that I can impose during my PT sessions which can improve my mental strength?

Best,

Comments

• badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    OH my god please don't start smoking!!! I hope someone more experienced comments here and helps you out, but in my personal experience, the weeks when I exercise, have had fun with friends, and got a good night's sleep and am motivated (remember why I want to destroy this test) are the weeks I feel fine doing the test. After a while of taking the PTs, I think the test feels rather quick. So maybe try exercising and being positive but don't smoke!!!!!
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    OMG NO SMOKING NO.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    Yeah... no. No smoking. No nicotine patches. Don't search for a cure all for a problem you can fix yourself. Quick fixes are not the answer. Hard work and persistence are the answer. The mental exhaustion will ease off as you take more tests. If I were you, I would take 5 section PTs instead of 4. Also, the tighter grasp you have on the fundamentals, the easier most of the questions will be which could help in this regard. Make sure you are still reviewing the core concepts from time to time. Keep taking PTs and you will see this condition get better with time and work. Good luck.
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    edited October 2015 3107 karma
    Smoking? LSAT causes lung cancer confirmed

Seriously though, don't start smoking. Eat some carbs, drink some coffee, and meditation are all good. If your mind starts wandering during the exam, take a 3-5 second break during the exam to take a really, really, really deep breath to get back into focus. That's what works for me.
  • PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
    359 karma
    I think if you do some drilling (1-2 sections) at the end of the day (when you are already exhausted), it might help. Learn when you are mentally fresh, and practice when you are mentally tired.
  • poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    496 karma
    Like everyone said, please don't start smoking for this! Another technique I use when I find my mind wandering is closing my eyes and taking a few deep breaths-- this helps clear my mind and I immediately feel refreshed and ready to go again. It may sound like it might be taking away time from your overall section but you'd do much better if your mind wasn't wandering.

Also, make sure you have a firm grasp on your fundamentals and with more practice, you'll see improvements :)
  • Moon10YGMoon10YG Member
    43 karma
    Guys, I just wanted to let you guys know how thankful I am. Because of you guys, I decided not to smoke, but more importantly, I began to believe in myself more. Corny... I know...

But, only a week ago, I felt rather hopeless, especially in regards to my mental strength and discipline.

Not feeling hopeless alone allowed me to perform better in many aspects of my LSAT abilities and I really cannot thank you guys enough for that.

I hope that I can meet you guys in the near future either at the top Law Schools we will attend or in a professional setting.

Until that time,