Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for Dec 2015

Artwork94Artwork94 Free Trial Member
edited October 2015 in General 140 karma
Hi everyone-I consistently practice tested from 158-161 right before the Oct LSAT and somehow drastically bombed to a 152. I am quite upset. However, I feel like I did everything right-tons of practice test with full review, timed sections etc. It may have been test anxiety-who knows. How can I better prepare for Dec, assuming I have done everything right up this point and am just not performing when it counts most? Also, I have exhausted most of the recent preptests which may be problematic...

Comments

• HibiscusHibiscus Free Trial Member
    edited October 2015 82 karma
    1) Try finding some other people in your area writing the LSAT and see if everyone is willing to meet in an empty classroom to do a mock sitting. This might help with being in an unfamiliar environment.

2) Get a bubble sheet, and make sure you practice with that (I didn't practice with a bubble sheet before, so it really threw me off the day of).

Also, older PTs are fine to do, and you can redo a few of the recent PTs closer to test day.
  • IPmummySFIPmummySF Alum Member
    73 karma
    i also have a similar question. i exhausted all the preptests (at least from 35-75, but not all of 1-34). i was able to get a perfect score for one LR section in preptests 74 and 75, but in the Oct test, i have -7 and -5 for the two sections. how can i best improve my LR before the Dec re-test? the Dec test would be my third test. i took my first LSAT in Dec 2012 and my LR was also -7 and -5. i spent a ton of time studying between april and oct, and it seems like i am still scoring at the same level. i had a jump of 6 points in my second test, but it all came from getting an almost perfect LG section (-1 in Oct '15 vs. -9 in Dec '12).
  • HibiscusHibiscus Free Trial Member
    edited October 2015 82 karma
    For LR, it would just mostly be finding out what question types usually stump you and drilling some of those questions to find out what tricks are catching you. BR is definitely what you need to do for LR, because being able to determine why an answer choice is wrong on a question can help you avoid similar traps in the future.

Also, get familiar with argument flaws. It cuts down a lot of time on the flawed reasoning question types.
  • Cogito SumCogito Sum Alum Member
    26 karma
    Best advice I can give is to be strict with your PT habits. It's awfully tempting to fill in that last blank bubble 3 seconds after time is up, but all you're doing is cheating yourself. It can be tough to score so low on such a silly mistake but that forces you to learn to do it properly and emphasize certain areas.

Also, there are apps that provide a virtual setting with a proctor and distractions settings, etc. These can be useful just to gain a sense of familiarity and build consistency. Use these and be as consistent as possible with every single PT. If anything be harder on yourself than the LSAT requires (34 minute time limits, for example). It's kind of like batting practice with a weighted bat, so when you're on the field it just "feels" lighter.

Any, hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Artwork94Artwork94 Free Trial Member
    140 karma
    thanks everyone! and "I am therefore I think" I love your idea of the weighted bat.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Retake 60-75 with excellent clean copy BR and take the scores with a grain of salt... Focus on learning from all 5 ACs for every question you BR since every single one has value and tells a story about the LSAT overall. Learn those lessons and you will start to unlock the patterns that crop up time and again.
    140 karma
    Thank you Pacifico. I have never actually tried blind reviewing... but I have heard it is helpful. Do you blind review every section of the exam? I did see 7sage's little videos on it.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    You BR every question you circle, so sometimes I don't end up doing BR for LG or RC if I didn't circle anything. But if you circle something in every section then you're going to be doing BR in every section. Also, if you haven't been doing BR at all then you've been missing out on a significant number of learning opportunities for yourself. I'd start there and also lock up your LG by adding it as a 5th section and fool proofing sections on off days.
    140 karma
    Ok thank you, I just took a Kaplan Class and was reviewing every single question from the preptests with their full explanations after completing the exam, but I guess it makes sense for me to try the BR way since "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."