Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving your score in 30 days

crushLSAT31crushLSAT31 Free Trial Member
in General 37 karma
Do you think it is possible to see five points increase in 30 days we have left for December LSAT?

Comments

• sean.marzsean.marz Alum Member
    edited October 2015 181 karma
    Need to know where you're currently at. An increase from 145 to 150 is much easier to acheive than moving from 170 to 175.

Regardless where you fall on the spectrum. I think it possible to make the needle move from now until December. Get to work!
  • J.H. SongJ.H. Song Alum Member
    201 karma
    The answer to your question is YES. Of course it's possible. Is it likely? That depends on your circumstances, such as your current scores, how you study, etc.

I know its hard not to think about where you want to be, but if you're sure you're taking the test in December, a better mindset would be to aim to achieve the highest score possible. That could be more than a +5, or a mere +1. Who knows?
  • crushLSAT31crushLSAT31 Free Trial Member
    37 karma
    Thank you both! I think I needed to hear that it is possible! I am currently scoring somewhere between 159 to 161 range! I would like to get to 165! Although I have only taken old PTs (mostly 29 to 38). Struggling to craft a good schedule for the next 30 days. Any suggestions?
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    In the same boat as you - trying to improve 5-6 before December. I read an article by a guy who bumped his score from 165 and scored a 177.... all in one month. That's def an outlier/crazy rare, but hey - it's possible so why not work for it/be positive?
  • mysojulimysojuli Alum Member
    98 karma
    @badgalriri can you link me to article. I would love to read that inspiration!
  • deleted accountdeleted account Free Trial Member
    393 karma
    @sami.adhik

What sections are you missing the most questions on? LG are easy to move quickly, so if you're getting more than say -3 on that section, cram LG. It's not a huge time commitment to learn (just do one section a day and watch an hour of videos) and the points are worth just as much as the other sections!

LR is harder and RC is very hard to move. In both cases I think that they test reading far more than they test logic, so doing either section will help the other, but really those are skills that you probably can't pick up in a super short period of time. I would say that if you are not going to study LG, then identify your biggest misses in LR and cram those (MBF, MBT, MSS question?) whatever it is.

RC is not formulaic nor easy to study. Read some dense stuff on a regular basis before the test (preferably old RC passages) but don't spend too much time on it. Took me like 4 months to substantially move the needle on my RC.
  • Artwork94Artwork94 Free Trial Member
    edited October 2015 140 karma
    Help me! Practice tested 161 two times in a row before Oct Lsat (usually got anywhere from 157-160) and got a 152!!! (after basically starting off around 148). AFTER 5 MONTHS OF STUDYING
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @sami.adhik What is your LG score averaging at the moment?
  • crushLSAT31crushLSAT31 Free Trial Member
    37 karma
    I mostly get -2 max in LG section.
    @Artwork194 I have heard that it is normal for your score to go down. I would say relax a bit and try to take it again. I hope it helps :)
  • J.H. SongJ.H. Song Alum Member
    201 karma
    @sami.adhik I assume that the reason @"GSU Hopeful" asked you your LG score is because it is the easiest section to improve in a short span of time, because its simply about practicing making inferences. In your case, looks like you have bigger trouble elsewhere. At this point, I would suggest taking 2~3 tests per week. BR them thoroughly. Make sure to look out for trends in specific LR question types your missing, so you can try fundamentally understand those specific types of questions better.
    140 karma
    @sami.adhik
    Yes, I heard that too, but never anticipated that much of a drop. I guess to be safe, it is now necessary to get much higher preptest scores so that any drop will not do as much damage.
    edited November 2015 140 karma
    Also, for everyone that can ace LG, can you please provide me some insight? I have done countless games but still cannot usually get more than 15 q right on any given LG section under time constraints. I usually misread things or miss KEY inferences. On the Oct LSAT, i missed super easy LG questions because of anxiety and missing inferences. I just started trying the foolproof method with games that challenge me ( i never really redid the games after checking explanations before which is maybe why i struggled). Now I usually redo each hard game maybe 3 or 4 times. After how many games with the foolproof method did u guys notice substantial improvements on timed practice/the real thing?
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @josephellengar said:
    RC is very hard to move
    But very possible :) Once you find a method for RC that works for you and learn what kinds of inferences are legit and what the grounds for elimination are, I think it's a matter of practice. And, always, confidence.
    393 karma
    @Artwork94:

What types of games do you miss? Do you more often miss the games that have hard inferences (a la the mauve dinosaurs game) or do you more often miss games that are unusual/hard to understand (a la the 4th game in preptest 72 or the fourth game in preptest 75). That can tell you a lot about why you are getting them wrong -- either the logic's not there or you need to slow down when you read the stimulus.

For me I know that when I get games wrong it is always always always because I misread the stimulus.
    edited November 2015 140 karma
    @josephellengar
    I think mostly ones with hard inferences... sometimes unusual ones, Im pretty good with standard, straight up sequencing, grouping, matching etc. I think the time constraints really get to me though, and I just start going super fast through rules and miss semi obvious things (its the whole speed vs. accuracy type deal)... When I look at these games untimed, I can't believe some of the dumb things I miss. But If I go super slow, I obviously won't get to as many questions-so Im kinda stuck in this problem.-Which one will ultimately benefit me the most on game day-speed or accuracy, assuming I can't have a decent mix of both? I know the end goal is to get as many questions right as you can....probably accuracy then? even If I get to a smaller amount of questions...
    393 karma
    @Artwork94

That's the same problem I have. I miss rules sometimes (in fact, missed a rule on the Oct test).

I had been working on this problem prior to my October test. I was training myself to do the following:

1) Always read the rules twice, and physically force myself to slow down
    2) Even if I think I can solve something in my head, still draw a diagram (exception for sequencing games)

Of course, I also think you could benefit from doing more games and watching the videos for every single game, no matter how simple. Games don't seem to tire me out or contribute to burnout, so if I were you I would do 2 sections a night for a week and watch the videos sped up (I normally did 1.7X, 1.4X for complex games). I guarantee you that you will see a move in your score.

Accuracy is, of course, better, but I think you shouldn't have any trouble finishing on time. The games are fortunately easy-ish to improve on.

Incidentally, I think that a lot of the games, even if you can't finish on time, you still should be able to make very accurate predictions on the correct answer.

On my June test I ran out of time (hadn't studied games enough) and guessed on every question on the last game (6? questions). Only got 2 wrong.

On my Oct test I missed a whole rule on the third game (!). And was scared poopless for a whole month. Didn't miss a single question, likely because my perception of how the game worked was good enough that I could see through the questions. Maybe.

I really, really wish I could see my scrap paper from that game, because some magic must have happened there. XD
    140 karma
    @josephellengar
    thanks for the advice, i think i will force myself to slow down no matter what/reread rules.
    and thats pretty amazing about your Oct test. Its just demoralizing because I have already seen so much improvement in LR and RC, and I feel like LG just won't budge. But I will keep working at it/redoing games/extra games sections/ and hope for the best!!!