Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Canadian law schools & feb LSAT consideration

mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
edited November 2015 in General 631 karma
Hey there,

Does anyone have any information regarding Canadian law schools and their tendency to consider the February LSAT?

I'm all of a sudden feeling super unprepared for December, and haven't been able to kick that feeling this past weekend. However, waiting until applying for the 2017 admissions cycle is not an option for me. I need to be certain that if I wait for Feb to write (knowing very well that I have a better chance of obtaining a higher score), that I have a chance of still getting in for 2016.

If you have any info and/or experience with this, it is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    Side note -- I would like to stay within Ontario if possible. I applied to Queens, Western, Ottawa, Osgoode, Lakehead and U of T (every single one except Windsor.. I don't think I missed any....)
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    Yup, in Ontario, all schools except Windsor accept Feb LSAT scores. However, schools will start filling spaces in November and majority of spaces will be filled by the time schools get your Feb score. So, you will basically be competing with other applicants for a limited number of spaces. Having said that, if you score a, say, 170 in your Feb LSAT because you had extra time to study between now and then, then I'm sure that you will stand out amongst other applicants. The point is this: you should only write the LSAT when you're most prepared because you want the highest score possible. If you're deadly keen on going to law school in 2016, then I'd suggest that you study hard between now and december and attempt the LSAT. Worse come to worst, you either cancel your score or you end up scoring low. In that case, you always have Feb LSAT as a backup. You will just let the schools know via OLSAS that you will be attempting the LSAT in Feb again and schools will wait for your new score before reviewing your application.

In any case, best wishes to you :)
  • NathanialNathanial Alum Member
    124 karma
    Feb will be acceptable but spots might be filled up and it can get tricky. If you can take it in December do it. I'm in the same boat as you and working towards giving the lsat in December so I'm competitive in the admission cycle.

Good luck.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    From what I've seen with lawstudents.ca (checked the "accepted" threads), the spots fill up as early as November. I've seen some people accepted last year on November 4th. Unless your score is likely to be very very competitive, I don't know if you should wait until February. Creep the threads hard and see how people in your situation did in terms of getting in. I'm sure it has happened.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Yes, as mentioned above, it depends on what you predict your increase of score will be if you defer the test. Spots fill up, but if the increase is significant, your chances may ultimately be better.

I would also add that the reason to defer should be based on your current scores and your goal score. It's natural to feel unprepared at times, and even if you can't shake it off, I wouldn't postpone for that reason alone.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    On an unrelated note, @"Dillon A. Wright" I think it might be a good idea to have a category for Canadian related posts so that they can be easily accessed.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @LSATisland said:
    I think it might be a good idea to have a category for Canadian related posts so that they can be easily accessed.
    Good idea, thanks!