Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strategy

Erika :)Erika :) Alum Member
I am beginning to PT since i last took a Kaplan course. They suggested that at 12 or 15 you skip to 26 and work backward basically skipping the 2nd to last full page and working back to middle. Does anyone else do this ? is it silly or good advice?

Comments

• 121 karma
    First, just want to advice I would take anything that Kaplan taught you with a grain of salt. They have a reputation of being pretty bad at teaching the LSAT.

But more precisely on the strategy, it doesn't sound too convincing. The LSAT writers are not really doing this thing where middle questions or the last questions are hardest any more. "Hardest" is relative term to. I for one, and a lot of people I think, spend a great amount of time on parallel reasoning questions. Sometime up to 3 and 1/2 minutes. Yea, its bad. So I learned to skip them. Th problem with the strategy is that you still force yourself to answer tough questions that maybe time sinks and that maybe worth skipping. My advice, go in order but skip question you find hard or more importantly time consuming no matter the number. Sometimes that means reading simply seeing the text or skimming the stem and being like "not way, not now" other times that means reading the stimulus and saying "wtf did I just read?" and moving on. Circle them and come back at the end. Low hanging fruit first.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    You're just inviting bubbling errors and there is no way to know where the hard questions are before you read each question. Just go in order, develop an internal clock or use a watch (don't get overly reliant on a per question basis for this as it is a time sink), and learn when to bail on a question and move forward. The key for LR is finishing ~5 minutes early and returning to tougher questions. Don't waste time spinning your wheels the first time through. Just keep the momentum and awareness of what you know and what you don't.
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    Why?
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @LSATKingsman said:
    Why?
    Are you asking me why? Or the OP?
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @"Erika :)" said:
    Kaplan
    Enough said.

Follow the advice of @Pacifico and @markariangeorge . You're inviting disaster by following this plan. Just go in order, aim to finish early and go back to the tougher questions. Work to develop that internal clock of 1:20 and cut bait and get out when you can't see your way through the question. Best of luck to you.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @"Erika :)" said:
    They suggested that at 12 or 15 you skip to 26 and work backward basically skipping the 2nd to last full page and working back to middle. Does anyone else do this ? is it silly or good advice?
    WOW. Always glad to see Kaplan back us up with all the trash talking we do about them. This kind of nonsense is par for the course.
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    @Pacifico haha OP
  • Erika :)Erika :) Alum Member
    15 karma
    Ok great guys! I'm going to try it your way next practice test!